Last week, I became cognizant of an issue that I knew
immediately required medical attention.
I’ll spare you all the details, but it is an issue I’ve had in the past
and quickly self-diagnosed. However, a
self-diagnosis, I knew, wasn’t good enough.
I also knew, from experience, that it is something that could be serious
and/or could require surgery. So, I made
a doctor’s appointment. And then I did
what I do best – I started to worry, letting the worst case scenario play in
the back of my mind.
The day before my appointment, I got an email from a friend
asking for prayers for a doctor’s appointment she was worried about. I
smiled at her request knowing that she was 10 times more worried about her
appointment than was needed, and I felt the Lord speak quietly to my heart, “Just
as you are 10 times more worried than you
need to be.” I tried to argue with him, “But,
Lord, I know what she will endure at that appointment, and I know the outcome. I know it will be painless and easy.” As soon
as the prayer was out of lips, I felt him respond, “But, Shannon, I know what
you will endure at that appointment, and I know the outcome. I know it will be painless and easy.” I wish I could have let calm and peace
totally sink into my heart at that moment, but I couldn’t. I felt it come and go like a tidal wave,
battling with my fear and anxiety.
On Monday, I went to my doctor’s appointment, and my
self-diagnosis was confirmed and more information was given. Praise God, nothing serious is going on, but
the news wasn’t entirely what I wanted, and surgery is likely in my future
again at some point. Initially, I felt
such relief that the news wasn’t as bad as it could have been – was, in fact,
good news. But last night, I lay in bed
filled with “What if?” questions that I shot off at Andy, and every question
was a legitimate and possible outcome to my actual diagnosis. My husband is awesome in those situations,
but his answers didn’t exactly comfort, and when we turned out the light, I did
what I should have done initially – I went to the Lord, the ultimate healer,
and asked him to make everything better.
I asked him to change the situation.
And you know what I heard? “My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in weakness.” Over and over. To every time I tried to pray about another
possible scenario, he responded the same way.
God often speaks to me through scripture, and I know from
past experiences that the context of the scripture is usually as applicable as
the verse he picked, so this morning, I picked up my Bible and located the
verse to read the rest of the context. I
almost laughed out loud at the context.
It was God’s answer to Paul in 2 Corinthians 12 when he prayed that the “thorn
in his side” be removed. Many scholars
believe the thorn to be some kind of medical condition. Paul wanted God to remove it, but he never
did. Instead, he told Paul, “My grace is
sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Paul accepted the answer and said himself, “That
is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships,
in persecutions, in difficulties. For
when I am weak, then I am strong.”
What do weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and
difficulties all have in common? They
push us to the feet of the Lord Jesus.
They are too big for us to handle.
They remind us that we are not perfect or invincible or without
troubles. They remind us that we are
human and frail and in need of someone mightier than ourselves. They force us to rely on the Lord. To trust him, to pray to him, to be real with
him. You see, I have a choice to
make. I can keep worrying about a worst
case scenario, or even a real, possible scenario, or I can trust that no matter
what, the Lord will hold me up. Even if
my worst case scenario becomes my reality, he is there and he is real and he is
all powerful. In relying on him through
my fears and struggles, I am able to develop a peace that is true and
sustaining – a faith that can be an example to others and display his
power.
Lately, life has been better for me than it has ever
been. Lately, I’ve felt that God has
only brought us one good thing after another – that his blessing are raining
down and covering us up. I love times of
life like that, but I also know that nothing drives me faster to the feet of
Jesus than fear and worry. It is likely
that this little condition he has given me will drive me frequently to his
feet. As the doctor I saw on Monday told
me, “You will likely be here again down the road. You’ll probably see this same problem again.
You will probably have this and that test at some point because you’ll see a
doctor who is concerned. But I’m telling
you all this so you don’t worry. Know it
will be a part of life, but don’t live in fear of each appointment.” I don’t know if the man was a Christian, but
I don’t think his words could have been any more prophetic. Reading the scripture from the Lord this
morning, I felt the same response. I
felt the Lord tell me that no miraculous healing was in my future, just like it
wasn’t in the plans for Paul. I was
reminded that life won’t always be easy but that I shouldn’t live in fear. As true today as it was 2000 years ago: “My
grace is sufficient, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
No comments:
Post a Comment