I became a mother two weeks ago. In fact, a little shy of two weeks ago, I was
sitting in my living room waiting on Andy to come home, and I was in early
labor – scared and excited about meeting my sweet boy. Becoming a mother has been an awesome,
wonderful experience, and it is something that I am still wrapping my head
around and will have to be another post for another day. Today’s post is about my mom and what
becoming a mother has shown me about her and about a mother’s love.
My mom was the first person I called besides my husband when
I thought I was in labor. I had been
having contractions all day on Friday, but by lunch time they were getting
stronger and closer together. I still
wasn’t sure if they were “real,” and I didn’t want Andy coming home from work
when I might not be in true labor.
However, it also wasn’t much fun to sit by myself at home in pain and
fearful about what was coming next, so I called my mom. She immediately got in the car and drove to
Charlotte, and I counted the minutes until she arrived even though I felt silly
and needy for asking her to sit with me while I waited for the next
contraction. Nevertheless, I cannot
describe the relief I felt when my mom walked in the door. There is something about being with my mom
that makes me feel safe and protected.
It is like she is a super power – able to fix anything that ails. I don’t know how I never quite saw this
before, but it is true. In my head, I
know she is no more able to fix my problems than anyone else, but she simply
feels like home. She sat in my living
room until Andy got home from work, and we talked about our family and work and
Daniel’s arrival. It was the absolute
perfect distraction and those pesky contractions that paused our conversation
didn’t faze her. She helped me time them
and speculated when I might be ready to go to the hospital.
The decision to go to the hospital didn’t happen as quickly
as I hoped, and Andy and I didn’t end up there until 11:30pm on Friday
night. By 3:00am on Saturday, I had had
an epidural and was expecting my sweet baby sometime that day. Daniel took his time and didn’t arrive until
7:20 on Saturday night, and after I had pushed for 3.5 hours and had a suction
delivery. By the time he was born, I was
exhausted, emotional, in pain, and more than anything craving sleep and time
alone with my husband and new baby. Andy
called the waiting grandparents back to my room at about 10:30pm on Saturday, and
I love that my mom took one look at my face and knew exactly what I
needed. My mom didn’t even glance at
Daniel. She came right to my side and
whispered, “You aren’t doing well, are you?”
I shook my head and held back tears.
“We need to go don’t we?” she asked.
She had waited for 3-4 hours in Charlotte to meet Daniel thinking that
my labor would progress quicker than it did, and she had an hour long drive
home, but she knew what I needed and put my needs ahead of her own comfort and
desires. The action reminded me that my
mom sees me in ways that no one else does.
It took her about two seconds to read my expression and to make the
right decision for me. I don’t think I could
have loved her more in that moment if I had tried.
Andy and I took Daniel home from the hospital on Monday, and
on Wednesday, my recovery took a serious backward slide. I have no idea what happened except that the
nurse I called on Thursday morning while I sat crying in the bathtub told me
that it was normal, happened to lots of women, and basically prescribed bed
rest until I felt like I could walk again.
Andy was scheduled to go into work on Thursday, and my mom was planning
to stay with Daniel and me. Andy ended
up staying home, but my mom still came so that he could work from home and she
could take care of me. Here is the thing
about life right after having a baby – lots of people offer to come and
help. I have several sweet friends and
an awesome mother-in-law who all offered to come by and take care of me or do
my laundry or clean my house or basically whatever I needed, but what I
realized this past week is that no matter how old you get, there are times when
only your mom will do. What I needed
this past week in the middle of the pain and the out of control hormones and
the sheer exhaustion was my mother. I
needed her to take care of me in ways that I’d never let anyone else do. I needed her to give me perspective and calm
and hope that things would get better soon.
This past week, before Mother’s Day, was an awesome reminder to my very independent,
stubborn self, that I have not “outgrown” the need for my mom. It showed me that a no matter how old I get
and how deep our friendship becomes, at the end of the day, my mom is not only
one of my best friends, she also occupies a space in my life that no other
person could ever fill – the space called Mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment