Andy had a friend call him last night and ask him to read
scripture at his wedding. When Andy
agreed, the friend then asked him to suggest some scriptures that might be
appropriate for the day. I LOVE the
wisdom in that request. I have known
engaged couples to choose Christian friends or mentors to read at their
weddings and also ask those people to choose scripture that would also serve as
a blessing over the newlyweds. Andy and
I have only been married two years, but we have also gone through quite a bit
of change in those two years that has brought us closer together and caused us
to learn more about each other very quickly.
The biggest lesson I’ve had about marriage in these two years is that I
had no idea what I was getting into on my wedding day. I picked scripture for the day that I thought
represented our intentions and godly love – and they did – but after having
some time to learn what marriage is all about, I would have chosen with much
more clarity and wisdom. So, even though
no one asked me what scriptures I’d suggest for this friend’s wedding, I’m going
to stick them on my blog in case anyone else cares!
Deuteronomy 6:4-12
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
10 When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
This is a scripture that we actually had read on our wedding day, and I did understand it then, and even more so now. I like it first because it is from the Old Testament. I don’t think the OT gets enough credit for being as rich with God’s promises as the New Testament – and it should get that credit. I am a big fan of including scripture from different parts of the Bible on a wedding day, so that is part of why we picked this scripture. Another reason we picked it is because we had seen God do amazing things for us in our dating relationship. He took us through hurdles I thought were impossible and made a way for us to be together. We said over and over how we never wanted to forget God’s faithfulness to us. What I’ve learned in the past two years is that God’s faithfulness never gives out and deserves constant remembering. I also want this scripture to set a precedent for how we structure our family. I want Daniel (and any other children we have) to hear us talk about the Lord often and I want them to hear how he has always been faithful to us. I also want them to know that any blessing we have comes straight from God and was not gotten on our own ability or strength.
Romans 12:9-18
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
This is a scripture I have been studying since I got pregnant. It is my prayer for the person Daniel will become. But it is also how I want our household to run and such a good reminder for Christian marriages. When we become a team for the Lord, we have a responsibility to act in certain ways and to help hold each other accountable for those actions. I want Andy and me to be people who are compassionate for others, who practice hospitality, who show great faithfulness in prayer for other people, and who trust and wait on God in all circumstances. I want us to become a couple who has a relationship within and outside our family that points others to the Lord. This scripture is SO HARD to do with perfection, but I love the standard to which it calls us.
1 John
3:16-18
This is how we know
what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one
another. If any one of you has material
possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how
can the love of God be in you? Dear
children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
Poor Mark Melvin.
Mark is a friend of ours who was asked to be a reader at our
wedding. We asked him to read all of 1
John 4, and we could have just as easily asked him to read these two verses
because they perfectly summarize the concept we wanted presented at our
wedding. I like this one because it is a
reminder that true love is the sacrifice Christ made on the cross. We wouldn’t know what love is if it wasn’t
for that demonstration. Love is absolute
selflessness. It is laying down our
lives for the sake of another. This love
should be represented in our marriages and in our relationships with our
children, and the model we have is Jesus Christ, who did not tell us he loved
us but showed us in a great act. It is
easy to say, “I love you,” but it is a lot harder to show that love day in and
day out when the one you know you love is driving you crazy or when you want
things your way. It is a lesson I’m
still learning!! In fact, the last part
of that scripture is one I have ordered for our kitchen wall to remind me that
making coffee for Andy in the morning or packing his lunch or changing Daniel’s
diaper or rocking him while he screams are the very definitions of love and
much more important than any words I can say.
Colossians 3:12-17
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
I have heard this scripture read at a few weddings, and I
think it is a great choice. The last
part reminds us that we act a certain way because we are ruled by Christ. As Colossians says elsewhere, when we chose
to follow Christ, we became a new person.
As that new person, we should wear garments of compassion, kindness,
gentleness, patience, and forgiveness.
On your wedding day, it seems like those feelings for this spouse we
have chosen will be easy and effortless.
But the truth is that when those little oddities we each have start
poking their heads, it can be hard to have patience and gentleness with each
other. The things that seemed charming
and cute (or maybe only mildly annoying) when we were engaged are places where
we just wish the other would change after six months of marriage, and I love
this scripture that reminds us to be patient with one another and the little
things that make each of us exactly who we are.

No comments:
Post a Comment