Bebo Norman has a song and one of the lyrics says, “When
your faith is hard to find, borrow mine.”
I’m in a place this week where my faith is hard to find. Things I have been praying about haven’t
worked out the way I thought the Lord told me they would. And that’s hard because I love the Lord. I don’t remember not loving the Lord. Honestly.
Some of my earliest childhood memories are of feeling the sweet presence
of the Holy Spirit. I can truthfully say
that the Lord Jesus has always been my closest friend. I love to hear him speak and over the years,
I’ve heard so many words from the Lord that have always given direction to my
life. This is the first time I can
remember being so far off base in my interpretation of what the Lord said, and though
it is still possible I will still see his hand in a mighty and unexpected way,
it doesn’t seem probable.
So that line from the Bebo Norman song is resonating… When
your faith is hard to find, borrow mine.
I’ve heard people say that they love God but not the church. I know Christians who don’t go to church for
one reason or another. People who don’t
build around themselves a community of believers. People who think their relationship with the Lord
is private and solo. I’m going to be
bold and say that’s no way to live.
I’m going to be honest that this week has shaken me, and my
faith IS hard to find. But I’m borrowing
on the faith of so many women the Lord has put in my life over the years, and I’m
borrowing on my husband’s faith. And it’s
a sweet, sweet picture of what the church should be – what the church is in its
best form.
Matthew 18:20 says “Where two or three are gathered together
in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” I know this is true. I have reached out in desperation to my tried
and true college friends – my sisters. I
have sent texts and called them in tears, unable to speak for long periods of
silence. I have reached out to close
friends in Winston, who have responded with calls and texts of assurance. One Bible Study member and dear friend left the bag pictured above on my porch while I was napping with my kids. She did that within hours of receiving a group text and told me in our phone call later that "Cake makes everything better." She was right. I have texted and emailed friends
from Charlotte, ladies I knew for only two short years when I was newly
married. Women who have sent back long
emails and even called me to encourage me with practical advice and lists of “to
dos.” I am beyond blessed to have so many beautiful, precious friends that span so many years in my corner. I have heard God speak in every
single one of their voices when I am unable to hear his voice on my own. They have given words of encouragement from
their own lives, from their marriages, from their knowledge of me. Some have known me long enough to remind me
of who I am in the Lord – of where I have been and the ways I have seen God
move. They have leant their faith, and in
the midst of all these interactions, I know the Spirit is moving.
Emily and Marianne, two of my friends from my college years,
have both shared advice from Marianne’s sweet father, a godly man who passed
away last year. In his words: “Don’t
listen to your feelings, listen to the truth.”
The truth is that God is good, God is fair, He is for me not against
me. He is for our family. He has plans to use Andy and me in ways that
glorify him, which is the greatest joy and privilege we can imagine. All of that is true no matter what my
feelings are saying, and praise the Lord for the community he has placed
around me and my family who can speak this truth when Satan’s lies are creeping
in.
You can’t do faith alone.
You just can’t. It is when two or
more are gathered in the name of the Lord that you can be sure he is
there. It is when people gather together
that the truth is more clear and easier to grasp. And today, in the midst of my struggle, I can
praise God for the community he has given.

Not sure what is going on but I will be praying that you hear Him loud and clear. I will also pray that understanding of His plan comes as you see and hear. Your faith as a teenager helped guide mine so I will gladly share what I can back!
ReplyDelete