
It's a cliche... something I tell my students never belongs in formal writing... but it is so true - teaching is a difficult but rewarding job.
Teaching is an interesting profession because it is one that everyone has an opinion about. When I told people I was going to college to be a teacher, I got one of two reactions. The first response was something to the effect of, "How wonderful! Think of how many lives you'll change." The second the bit more "glass half empty" approach, "Teaching?? You're wasting all your potential on such a low paying job?"
Now, after actually becoming a teacher, people are too polite to tell me I'm wasting my potential. However, optimistic onlookers still rave about the lives I'm changing. It seems that people outside the profession believe that teachers are madly passionate about all the life changing work they are doing in the classroom.
I've felt caught between the two worlds. I've NEVER felt that I'm wasting a bit of potential. Teaching takes every bit of energy, creativity, and knowledge I have, and every day I give it all. The paradox is that in spite of giving all I have, I do not often feel passionate about my job and have felt guilty about that. Parents want you to be passionate about their children; society wants you to be passionate about their future. In our idealistic world, Americans believe that our ulitmate success or failure lies in the hands of educators.
Last year, I often felt frustrated that I didn't feel passionate about my job. In college, I thought I'd love every minute of teaching, create cutting edge lessons, and open up the world of Shakespeare to underpriveledged children who would come back years later to tell me how I'd sparked their love of learning and molded them into the individuals they are today. Long story short, my first year was not that way. I had more bad days than good and no one was thanking me... quite the opposite, in fact.
This year, I freed myself from the pressure of having to be passionate. I told myself that teaching is just a job. I'd do it to the best of my abilities, but I wouldn't allow it to consume me, and I wouldn't become frustrated with myself for not being passionate about what I do. And you know what? I found out that I love my kids, and while I'm not passionate about the job, I am passionate about them.
My students make me laugh, they make me angry, they make me proud, and they hurt my heart. I can honestly say that I love each one of them, I want the best for them, and I work like crazy to give them all they need to succeed in the future. It breaks my heart to see them fail, but it feels me with happiness to think I've done a little something right for them.
This week, one of students wrote in her journal, "Today is Tuesday. We had the writing test. I used all of my time. I palnned everything. I even did my bubble map and all. You prepared us well for this test." I've learned now... society has it all wrong. Teachers aren't supposed to be passionate about their job; they're supposed to be passionate about the ones in their care. And I just may be able to do that.
Teaching is an interesting profession because it is one that everyone has an opinion about. When I told people I was going to college to be a teacher, I got one of two reactions. The first response was something to the effect of, "How wonderful! Think of how many lives you'll change." The second the bit more "glass half empty" approach, "Teaching?? You're wasting all your potential on such a low paying job?"
Now, after actually becoming a teacher, people are too polite to tell me I'm wasting my potential. However, optimistic onlookers still rave about the lives I'm changing. It seems that people outside the profession believe that teachers are madly passionate about all the life changing work they are doing in the classroom.
I've felt caught between the two worlds. I've NEVER felt that I'm wasting a bit of potential. Teaching takes every bit of energy, creativity, and knowledge I have, and every day I give it all. The paradox is that in spite of giving all I have, I do not often feel passionate about my job and have felt guilty about that. Parents want you to be passionate about their children; society wants you to be passionate about their future. In our idealistic world, Americans believe that our ulitmate success or failure lies in the hands of educators.
Last year, I often felt frustrated that I didn't feel passionate about my job. In college, I thought I'd love every minute of teaching, create cutting edge lessons, and open up the world of Shakespeare to underpriveledged children who would come back years later to tell me how I'd sparked their love of learning and molded them into the individuals they are today. Long story short, my first year was not that way. I had more bad days than good and no one was thanking me... quite the opposite, in fact.
This year, I freed myself from the pressure of having to be passionate. I told myself that teaching is just a job. I'd do it to the best of my abilities, but I wouldn't allow it to consume me, and I wouldn't become frustrated with myself for not being passionate about what I do. And you know what? I found out that I love my kids, and while I'm not passionate about the job, I am passionate about them.
My students make me laugh, they make me angry, they make me proud, and they hurt my heart. I can honestly say that I love each one of them, I want the best for them, and I work like crazy to give them all they need to succeed in the future. It breaks my heart to see them fail, but it feels me with happiness to think I've done a little something right for them.
This week, one of students wrote in her journal, "Today is Tuesday. We had the writing test. I used all of my time. I palnned everything. I even did my bubble map and all. You prepared us well for this test." I've learned now... society has it all wrong. Teachers aren't supposed to be passionate about their job; they're supposed to be passionate about the ones in their care. And I just may be able to do that.
wow...i loved that post. I have totally seen that change in your from last year to this year. You truly seem to enjoy it more...you love your kids and it shows. you are an awesome teacher.
ReplyDelete