I know this title sounds weird, but I've always been intrigued by Luke 19:40 which says, "'I tell you,' he replied, 'if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.'" This statement from Jesus comes as he enters Jerusalem for the final time. His disciples and others prepare the way for him to enter the city by spreading their coats on the road in front of him and crying out, "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!" Some Pharisees who are in the crowd say to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples."
Their request sounds harsh, but they were likely worried about conflicts between the Roman government and the Jewish religious leaders - themselves. Obviously, a crowd of people running through the streets proclaiming an average citizen to be a king could cause problems - for everyone. It may have made sense for the disciples and other followers to keep quiet. However, from Jesus' response, it is clear that he expects just the opposite of them - he says if the disciples stay silent, the stones will cry out and praise him.
I don't want any stones crying out on my behalf. This blog will not soley be my reflections on matters of faith, but I want to remind myself that in everything I say, do, and write, I should bring glory to God. If I don't, the stones may cry out - and how freaky would that be?? So, with God's help, I will be the crying stone - not the quiet voice.
i love it! :) I am so thankful for your boldness.
ReplyDelete