Monday, October 29, 2012

Biblical Submission


 

So….a few weeks ago I had my first lesson on Biblical submission, and let me tell you, it sure wasn’t easy.  On the flip side, though, it taught me a lot about Andy and more about God, and in the end, I’m thankful for this opportunity to grow in the Lord and in my marriage.

 

My lesson came in the middle of preparing documents for a house closing.  For the record, I am definitely praising Jesus that this house is selling, but I don’t believe any other single event has taught me more about how far I have to go towards being the Christian God has called me to be.  On the positive side: the amount of blogging material I’ve gotten out of this ordeal!!

 

The story is long, but the short of it is that it was 8:30 pm on a Wednesday night, which in the Speight household is late at night.  Andy and I were both exhausted and stressed, but we still had a long list “to dos” related to selling my house.  In addition, both of us had activities that we had scheduled for that night and really wanted to be doing instead.  I had a Bible study meeting that I’d been forced to skip in order to be free to sign documents with a notary, and he had an intermural game at 9:30 for a team he coached.  Instead of doing what we wanted to do, we were sitting at the kitchen table trying to make a decision about how to handle a specific issue and disagreeing on the method.

 

As I sat listening to his point of view, I can’t describe the conflicting emotions pulling around inside me.  I have always believed in Biblical submission.  I’ve talked about it for years in various Bible studies.  I know that some women really struggle with the concept, but my mom could not have been a better role model in that area of her walk with Christ and relationship with my dad, so I know deeply that submission does not equal weakness.  I believe passionately that God created men to be the leaders in the family and that God made no mistake when he included Ephesians 5:22 and Colossians 3:18 in scripture. I believe he created wives to be helpers, and Andy and I have had several conversations about what that behavior can look like in our marriage.  In fact, during our kitchen table conversation, I could vividly hear a myself saying (only a few months ago), “Andy, you’ll have to hold me accountable to support your leadership in our home because I’m stubborn, and I am used to doing things my way, but regardless of how I act, I truly want to help you be the leader in our family.” 

 

I’m not a crier, but in overwhelming emotional situations, I give in.  Hearing my own voice (or God’s??) remind me that I wanted to support Andy’s leadership in our home, but faced with the reality that supporting his leadership would mean making a decision directly opposite to what I wanted, pushed me straight to tears.  I was frustrated with Andy and frustrated with the knowledge that not supporting him would directly oppose everything I’ve said I believe about marriage.  To make matters worse, my husband was being the most Godly example of Christian love he could be.  You should know that Andy hates conflict and is inclined to do all in his power to avoid it, and left to his own devices, he would allow me to have my way every time in our marriage.  I know that being the leader in our family isn’t easy for him and is something that he is praying God will help him do, so watching him calmly and lovingly stand his ground on the issue before us did not help my inner turmoil.  On the one hand, I had to admire his strength, and I was proud of him for making a decision that was clearly thoughtful and wise.  On the other hand, I still wanted my way!  In the end, I agreed to follow his leadership mostly because I knew I couldn’t keep preaching submission if I was willing to practice it.

 

This is the part where you are expecting me to say how wonderful I felt immediately after agreeing with him, aren’t you?  I wish I could, but honestly, that wonderful, peaceful feeling didn’t come.  Instead, I only felt mentally and physically exhausted.  That night as we went to bed, I couldn’t help crying again and telling Andy how frustrated I was with myself.  I knew that I had made a godly decision in following his leadership, and in the most rational part of my brain, I even knew that his decision was probably a better course of action than mine would have been, BUT I still wanted my way.  To add insult to injury, my less than loving feelings in the matter made me feel only worse about myself!  What kind of Christian was I if I couldn’t lovingly and gracefully and peacefully follow my husband’s leadership?  What did it say about my walk with the Lord?  I couldn’t help hearing 1 Peter 3:3-5 playing in my head like a broken record.  It says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.  For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves.  They submitted themselves to their own husband.”  Let me tell you, I wasn’t feeling very beautiful.

 

I tossed and turned most of the night, and finally got up around 5:15.  Did I mention I have put my quiet time back in the mornings?  There is no other way for me.  So, I groggly dragged myself to meet with the Lord and laid the situation right at his feet.  He brought me immediately to Philippians 3 and spoke to me about several situations in my life, but especially my battle with submission.  He showed me Philippians 3:8 which says, “What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ.”  Then the Lord spoke quietly to my soul that submitting to Andy has nothing to do with Andy and everything to do with the Lord. 

 

You see, I didn’t want to submit to Andy because I was prideful and arrogant believing my way was best.  He was asking me to take a course of action that was contrary to my personality, and I felt like I was sacrificing some kind of core belief about who I am to follow his lead.  But you know what?  The verses I read showed me that I do the same thing when I try to follow the Lord.  I will willingly put myself under the Lord’s leadership when it works for me, when we are on the same page so to speak, but when he asks me to walk away from sinful indulgences, I balk.  I resist out of fear of letting go of what I love or losing part of who I think I am.  You want to know the truth?  I am nothing without Christ.  Whatever I am finding my significance in (job, friends, family, spouse, personality), it is all garbage compared to knowing Christ.  That is easy to say but hard to live.

 
Right now, I think God is calling me to sacrifice myself so that he can use me.  When I try to pridefully hold on to the things that I think give me significance, I am useless.  I am fighting against the Lord and pulling against his leadership, and we can’t move forward that way.  He can use me up to a point, but when one hand is holding tight to my own desires, I am not free to work as he has planned. The same is true in my marriage.  I can fight against Andy’s leadership, but in doing so, I am not allowing us to be the testimony of Christ’s love that marriage was designed to be.  Andy and I have made it a regular prayer from the time that we were engaged that our marriage would be a testimony to Christ’s love and grace.  We know as sinners we won’t do that perfectly, but we’ll have no chance at it if I don’t do my part to be the picture of how the church should respond to Christ’s loving leadership.  And that submissive position of my heart doesn’t start with my relationship with Andy.  It starts with my relationship to Jesus and my willingness submit to his will first

No comments:

Post a Comment