I have a classroom policy that allows students to drop a classwork
or quiz grade when they get their progress report signed. It is a great policy. I get so many more progress reports returned than
when I gave grades simply for returning the signed report, and it gives
students a little safety net in case they bomb an assignment or forget their
homework one day. One year, though, I had
a class that tried to manipulate my policy.
I was teaching Greek mythology, and I told them that they
would have a quiz on the gods/goddesses and their powers the next week. Somehow they banned together, and they all
decided they wouldn’t study or prepare for the quiz and would instead use their
upcoming progress reports to drop the grade.
Almost everyone failed it. I was
furious. I knew that Greek mythology was
something that would be covered again in 10th grade with The Iliad, and I wanted them to have the
background needed to understand that epic.
Not one to be outsmarted, I told them that they would be tested on the
information until everyone made 100. We
took the test at least 6 times before everyone succeeded, but I bet those kids
have never forgotten that information.
This morning, I was watching a Beth Moore video and in it,
she made the comment that God’s tests for us are always designed with a purpose
and meant to bring specific results. She
highlighted two scriptures that made me think of that mythology test. The first was 1 Peter 1:6-7 which says that trials
have come “so that the proven genuineness of your faith …may result in praise,
glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.” God gives us tests to make our
faith genuine. He does it to take out
areas of sin, to refine us like gold.
When we become refined, we are better able to be a picture of Christ to
the world.
The second scripture was Exodus 20:20 which says, “Do not be
afraid. God has come to test you, so
that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.” I don’t know about anyone else, but I hate
sinning. Whenever I fall into the same
old trap, I feel such a sense of failure and frustration. If the test God brings can help me respect
him enough to keep from sinning, I’m all for it.
The problem, though, is that tests don’t often seem like
opportunities. For my students, that
mythology quiz felt like something they just had to get through. It didn’t feel like an opportunity to know
information that would help them succeed later.
I’m the same way. If I reflect on
the past week, I can see multiple times God put tests in my way – he put
several situations in front of me where I had two choices. I could respond with gossip, complaining,
unkindness, or I could respond with love, forgiveness, humility. More often than not I chose the first
response. You see, I didn’t view those
tests as opportunities. I viewed them as something to get through and my spur
of the moment response wasn’t sufficient to ace the test.
It is taking me a long time as I know this concept is one
God has tried to show me before (I think maybe I’ve even blogged about
something similar), but today, I think the problem is that I haven’t been
serious about making an A on these tests.
And God, the great teacher, is not satisfied to leave me where I
am. In the same way I gave the mythology
test over and over, he keeps bringing me tests patiently waiting on me to make
the right grade, to learn self-control, to develop the qualities that will keep
me from failing it the next time.
I need a change of perspective. Those times when THAT girl spouts off that
one comment that inevitably makes my blood run hot, my first response should
not be complaint or indignation. It
should be grace. The reality, though, is just as my students would never have
passed that mythology test without studying, I will never pass these tests
without studying. Too long I’ve tried to
rely on my own power thinking that I will pass the test when it comes because I’ve
heard God’s truth. I’ve learned that I
won’t. I need to study. I need to let God’s word sink deep into my
heart so that when the test comes I hear Him over any pull to sin.
So, I’ve done what any 21st Century girl would do
– I’ve downloaded an app for that! Seriously.
Often I don’t have the wisdom to conclude my blogs with good practical
advice, but today, I think I have a plan.
Several weeks ago, I downloaded an app called “Scripture Typer” on my
IPhone. It is amazing! Already, I have memorized three new
scriptures that have encouraged me in another area of struggle. Today, I also added 1 Peter 1:6-7 and Exodus
20:20 to my quiz bank. Psalm 119:11
says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”
and Ephesians 6:17 tells us that the only offensive weapon we have for
overcoming sin is the “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Therefore in effort to pass the tests instead
of give in to temptation, I am working to hide scriptures in my heart that will
remind me that all temptations are really tests, and tests are opportunities
for success. Praise God that he is
sticking with me until I get that A.
Bring on the tests!
No comments:
Post a Comment