This weekend, Andy and I went to Greenville to see his
family. Greenville is Andy’s home, but
it is where I lived from 2002-2012.
Greenville is the place where I met some of my best friends. It is the place where I grew the most in my
faith. It is where I graduated from
college, and graduate school, and started my first job. It is where I bought my first house, and
learned to mow grass, and where I met Andy.
In more ways than one, Greenville is home to me. When we drove into town on Friday night, I burst
into tears. It was dark, I was tired,
and all I wanted to do was pull into the driveway of my little house on 2137
Cherrytree and crawl into bed. Sadly,
that little house is not mine anymore.
Saturday was almost as bittersweet as I used it catching up
with some of my favorite people. I went
to breakfast with my friend, Jenn, and I worked out at my old gym with Marianne
before we met Rebecca for lunch. On
Sunday, Andy and I went to my old church with his Dad. When we walked through the doors of the
sanctuary, it just felt like home to me.
Not too big, not too small, and occupied by so many people we know. As we sang worship songs, I held back more
tears and tried to talk myself out of the homesickness that surrounded me.
On Sunday night, Andy and I headed toward Charlotte, but we
stopped off briefly in Norwood to have dinner in my real hometown with my
parents. We drove through the
neighborhood, and we saw my best friend’s car parked at her parent’s house –
two doors down from MY parents. It
reminded me of all the times when we were younger running in between the two
houses. It felt like another little
slice of home.
It is interesting that when I think of home, I think in
terms of people. Greenville has Andy’s
family, Rebecca, Marianne, Jenn, and other people I love from work and
church. Norwood has my parents, my
friend, Laura, and her family, and countless people I grew up knowing and
loving. Charlotte has Andy. I wouldn’t love a city nearly the same
without the people who make it up, and sadly, the people I love most in the
world are spread out everywhere.
This morning, I was reading about Abraham. I’ve been on his
story for a while, and I can’t help but think of my story when I read it. In
Genesis12, God calls Abraham (then Abram) saying, “Go from your country, your
people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.” God’s directive to Abraham feels so much like
his directive to me – to leave my people and my parents to go where God has
shown. I know he hasn’t asked me to
leave my country, or even my state!, but he has asked me to go where I didn’t
think I’d want to go. God called Abraham
away in order to bless him. It took
Abraham walking in faith to gain the blessing God wanted him to have. This weekend, in Greenville, someone told me
about a job opening for which they had been asked to recommend a
candidate. They told me that they wanted
to recommend me but knew there was no chance I am moving home. My stomach sank when I heard the job
description – it would be my absolute dream job. It was one of those jobs that I am fully
capable of doing, and even have the right degree, but need a contact to get my
foot in the door. When I got in my car
after the conversation, I had to whine a little bit to God, and what I heard in
response was a quiet whisper to my heart, “Don’t worry. I will bless you where you are. You are where you should be.”
I believe God can bless us wherever we are, but in my case,
I think God has brought me to Charlotte for a specific reason that only he can
see. It isn’t home, but the more I move
around, the more people I begin to love and call family, I don’t know if a
place will ever truly feel like home.
Home is the people, and those people aren’t in one place. Abraham didn’t
see his promised land as home either.
Hebrews 11 says that Abraham and others of faith were like strangers and
foreigners on earth. Verse 16 says, “They
were longing for a better country – a heavenly one.” When we are in heaven, all will be
perfect. We will be close to all our
loved ones and work jobs that are productive and satisfying. Earth isn’t heaven, and since it isn’t, it is
important that we find our home in the Lord.
We can take our shelter in him knowing that he has a plan for us where
we are, and the reality is that sometimes he has to move us away from where we
are to show us where we should be. Moving
away from Greenville was not the easiest transition, but it has taught me a
fair amount about what it means to sacrifice for someone I love – my husband –
and it has shown me how much I NEED to be sacrificing for someone I love even
more – Jesus. Living here has also shown
me God’s providence in any situation. In
less than a year, he has given me a good job, some new friends, and some areas
where I can serve. I know these are only
a hint of the plan he has to come and that even when he gives me the greatest
blessings he has planned in Charlotte, they will still be only a tiny taste of
heaven.
At the gym on Saturday, Marianne asked me where I would want
to live if I had a choice. I considered my
favorite options – Greenville, Raleigh, and Charlotte – and told her that I
honestly didn’t know. If Andy came home
tomorrow and told me that BB&T had offered him a fantastic job in one of
those three places, I’m not sure I’d even know which place I’d hope he’d
say. As I told Marianne, there are
distinct advantages and disadvantages to all three places. The conversation made me so thankful that God
has all of those decisions in his hands.
For now, the place he has clearly placed us is in Charlotte, and while
it might not be home, I know it is exactly where we need to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment