And he said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become
like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 18:2
This morning at church, I got asked the question, “Do you
like toilet paper?” My answer? “Absolutely!
Who doesn’t like toilet paper? I mean, what’s not to like?” The follow up question was, “Do you like toilet
paper or paper towels better?” To that I
replied, “Well, it depends on what room of the house I’m in.” You might, by now, be thinking that my new
friend was incredibly rude. Would it
change your mind to know that a sixth grade boy and girl were asking the
questions in a “get to know the leader session” that had been prefaced by the
youth pastor telling them no question was too embarrassing.
I have never worked with kids as young as sixth grade
before, but this year, Andy and I will both be leading small groups for sixth
graders. When we left church, he remarked, “I just don’t know how to focus on them. They all talk to me at one time!” Teaching ninth grade, I’m definitely used to
a million children talking to me at one time, but I was not prepared for the
very short attention span of sixth graders.
It was unbelievable the ideas that run through their mind in the course
of a minute – most of which come out of their mouth. Fidgeting was a given. One girl even fell out of her chair during
the message because she was rocking it back and forth. The speaker was AWESOME with them, but I had
to wonder if anything was getting through.
Then, at the end, came the sweetest moment.
The speaker had been talking to them about love and how God
loves us. He used John 3:16-17 as his
reference verses. You probably have them
memorized, but if not, they say, “For God so loved the world that he gave his
only begotten Son that whosever believes in him shall not perish but have
everlasting life. For God did not send
his Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him
might be saved.” He spent time illustrating
the difference between saying we love something and loving something
enough to die for it, so by the end of the message, he had the kids admitting
that they loved their families but they weren’t sure they loved them enough to
die for them. At the very end of the
lesson, a boy in the back asked (while rocking his chair), “So, you mean God
loves us more than our families love us?”
The speaker responded, “Yes, God loves you more than your families AND
he knows you better than they do.” I
loved watching this child process the speaker’s comments. The lesson moved on quickly, but I saw his
eyes fill with reflection and heard him whisper to himself, “Crazy!”
Nothing I heard this morning spoke to me more than this
child and his private thoughts. Yes, the
way God loves us is crazy, but how often I forget it. The wonder of the gospel is often lost on me,
and I spend more time focusing on myself than the Lord who loves me. Driving away from church, Andy also commented that it is cool to see the way these kids process the Word of God. I have to agree. It is so cool and such a reminder to me to
have faith like theirs. To believe that
God loves me more than my parents or my husband or my siblings or my friends –
and therefore, he can be more than trusted.
No comments:
Post a Comment