Monday, August 5, 2013

How do I know? (If it's love).


So, my favorite summer show, The Bachelorette, comes on tonight.  Chris Harrison was actually right for once – this has been “the most dramatic season ever.”  If you haven’t been following, let me catch you up quickly:  The Bachelorette this season is Desiree.  Of the 25 guys she has met, Brooks has been her front runner from the beginning.  Last night – in the first part of the season finale – he told her that he wasn’t sure he loved her and was ready to propose.  She was heartbroken, and the audience was led to believe that the season ends unhappily for her.  I guess we’ll find out the truth tonight in the second part of the finale. 

 

People seem shocked that Brooks could get to that point in the show and not be ready to propose, and you honestly can’t help but feel badly for Desiree.  However, a blog I follow called Simply Sincere wrote about how shows like The Bachelorette are ruining our view of romance.  The post was excellent, and you can read it here.  I think she is right.  Brooks and Desiree had a very emotional breakup last week all because they expect that he should love her and should be ready to marry her after knowing her for only six weeks AND having two (maybe three) individual dates with her.  Brooks talked to his mom and sister about his struggle, and while I’m sure their entire conversation was not aired, what the TV audience didn’t see in any of the conversations was someone saying, “You are not crazy for not being sure!  It has only been SIX weeks AND you have not even had an exclusive relationship.  At this point, you’d probably be crazy if you thought you COULD propose.”  I was actually thinking “Finally someone is taking this ‘getting engaged’ thing seriously!”  I also wished that I was the big sister in the room so I could give Brooks my advice. 

 

I’m good at being a big sister.  Just ask my brothers – I bet they’d say my advice is spot on, though in full disclosure they’d probably agree it is more helpful when it is solicited than when it isn’t, so I guess this blog is hit or miss.  Nevertheless, I’m going to use today’s post to be the big sister and give the unsolicited advice that someone might appreciate.  If Brooks had come to me asking how he should know if he is ready to get married these would be my answers:

 

1. If you have to ask if you’re ready, you aren’t ready.  I think it is normal to have some fears about marriage, but if you are asking whether you are ready, you have some doubts that are too serious to ignore – take some more time.  Or, if the relationship has already lasted some crazy amount of time (think 5-6 years), it might be time to breakup.  Don’t string someone along.  That isn’t fair to either of you.

 

2. Make the decision with your head more than your heart.  I hate those lines like, “You just know.  You’re soul mates.  You complete each other.  He/She is your everything.”  Gag me.  That is lust, people, not lasting marriage-type love.  Instead, answer these questions: Do you have the same religious views?  Do you have the same views about family and work and the balance between the two?  Do you agree about money – how it should be saved, how it should be spent, how you should give?  Do you want the same amount of children?  Do you communicate in a complimentary way?  Do you have the same views about commitment and divorce?  Are you committed to putting God first and each other second?  For the record, if each partner is looking to the other to complete them or be their everything, the marriage is already on shaky ground.  You should each be looking to the Lord to give you that kind of fulfillment.  It is too much pressure to feel like you have to complete another person or satisfy them in ways that only the Lord can satisfy.

 

3. Consider your friendship.  I’m not a big fan of all those people on The Bachelor/Bachelorette talking about how they are looking for their best friend because I think the line is becoming a bit trite, but there is also a good measure of truth in it.  Don’t get being best friends mixed up with completing each other, but do consider whether this is a person you can enjoy being around.  If you had to move to some foreign city together and you had no other friends, could you enjoy being only with your husband or wife?  Believe it or not, married people don’t just hang out in bed all day, so passion and romance cannot be the bulk of the relationship.  Do you enjoy doing things friends do?  Hiking, running, cooking, serving, dancing, traveling, watching movies.  Look for shared interests and make sure that in the day to day, you’ll have fun together.

 

4. Get to know each other well.  If Brooks were my brother, I’d tell him that he doesn’t know Desiree well enough at this point to know whether they can be married.  He might know the answers to the questions in #2 and he might know that they can be friends, but another part of knowing if you are ready to get married is being able to understand the other person – and allowing them to understand you.  Relationships need time.  You need to see how your potential spouse talks to waitresses and children and the cable guy and his/her parents and grandparents.  You need to see that he or she can show respect to anyone in any situation.  You need to see how he/she responds to times of stress or sadness or sickness.  And how he/she interacts with your friends or your family.  You don’t want to marry the person who is awesome around you and a total jerk to other people because in the long run, your life will be full of other people.  It will be difficult for you if you always feel pulled between your spouse and your family or friends.

 

5. Pray, pray, pray.  Committing to one person for the rest of your life is insane.  Honestly, it is.  I don’t know how people do it without prayer and hearing from God.  Life can change so quickly, and in twenty years, neither of you will probably be the same people you were when you got married.  We don’t know what obstacles and struggles life will bring, and if I had not had total peace after much prayer that Andy was the person God had planned for me, I don’t think I would have been able to commit to him.  Don’t enter marriage without peace from the Lord, because I believe that having known that peace will sustain you, and when times are difficult, you’ll know you’ll make it because God knit you together.

 

I love marriage and what it means, but it is an enormous, scary decision. I hope Brooks makes the right one tonight.  Honestly, I’d love it for him and Desiree and the rest of America if he will tell her he isn’t ready for marriage, but he is ready to date.  Maybe for once we’ll end that show on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment