Galatians 6:11-18
Neither circumcision
nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. Galatians
6:15
In college, I attended a Sunday School class with several of
my closest friends. The church did not
have a great college ministry, which was a shame considering it basically sat
on ECU’s campus, so the class was made up of about five people – most of whom
had grown up in the church. Our teacher
was a new and somewhat quirky pastor, and she had decided to give a series of
lessons on the holy sacraments. I remember
her saying, “A sacrament is an outward sign of an inward and spiritual covenant”
so many times that my friends and I still quote her when we hear the word “sacrament.” We laughed at her repetition then, but some
of her lessons have really stuck with me, so she definitely did something
right! When I read Galatians 6:15, I
couldn’t help but hearing her words in my head and I felt like she and Paul
must have been on the same page.
Paul is concluding Galatians by warning the church again
about the legalizers who are pushing for circumcision. He is telling them that the outward sign
makes no difference – the important part is the inward change. In this case, he is also saying that
circumcision no longer needs to be practiced, so it probably isn’t a totally
fair comparison to many religious sacraments which do have a place in the
church and ought to be practiced.
However, I think the heart of his message has a place even in sacraments
like baptism and communion. Being
baptized is important, as is taking communion, but the acts themselves don’t
mean anything if they don’t represent an inward and spiritual change. We can eat the bread and drink the wine (or
grape juice!) but if they don’t represent the body and blood of Christ to us,
and if they don’t inspire repentance and thankfulness for his sacrifice, they
don’t mean anything. The sacrament
matters because of what it represents.
The same is true for other Christian practices. We aren’t Christians because we engage in
spiritual practices like going to church or prayer or quiet times or
service. We are Christians because we
love Jesus and we recognize with thankfulness and repentance that he died on
the cross for our sins. As a result of
this inward change (yielding to Christ over ourselves), we then engage in
spiritual practices with joy. Prayer or
church attendance or Bible reading should be outward signs of an inward change
of heart. We shouldn’t be able to look
or stay the same if we’ve been changed by Christ.
The problem is, though, that sometimes we engage in the
spiritual practice without the inward change.
And that behavior can take us away from Christ without us even realizing
it. That is what was happening with the
Galatians – they were falling to the legalizers who told them they needed to be
circumcised to be Christians. So they
were getting caught up in looking like Christians instead of actually being
Christians.
I think the same can happen today. In American culture, appearance is so
important. Looking like we have it all
together matters to us. That can bleed
into our religious lives, too. If we
aren’t careful, we can spend more time trying to look like a Christian than
spending time allowing God to change our heart to make us more like Christ.
Even we who are well intentioned can fall into the appearance
trap. I do. I want people to think I’m a good Christian,
so I want to look like I have it all together.
I want to look like I joyfully take my family to church, get plugged
into Bible Studies, am excited about service, and have meaningful daily quiet
times. I don’t think this is a conscious
desire to fool people about who I am, it is more the fact that a good Christian
is who I want to be, and I value
other’s opinions, so obviously I want people to think I’m the version of myself
I most want to be. Does that make
sense? I also feel like many people
think I am a “good” Christian, so sometimes I rest on those opinions and grow
stagnant in my growth. I look good, so I’m
alright, right? Wrong.
Here is the ugly truth.
Right now, I dread going to church, and I’d rather just stay home and
nap than take Daniel to a nursery where I know he’ll be crying when I pick him
up. Frankly, church doesn’t work with
our morning schedule, and if it weren’t for my awesome husband who makes me, I
wouldn’t go. Thinking about joining a
Bible Study right now makes me tired even though I’ve loved every study I’ve
been in, and I know I need it. But
again, the timing is hard, and I’m starting a new job, so I don’t know how I’ll
handle it in my schedule. I know I need
to serve in some capacity – I actually believe Christians should be plugged in
through service to their local churches, but it is one more thing I’ll have to
do. And my quiet times? I’m being brutally honest, here. I’d rather be sleeping or mindlessly watching
TV when I find free moments in my day than opening up my Bible. It has not always been like that for me. There have been times in my life when my
quiet time was the best part of my day, where I looked forward to church, where
service and Bible Study were the highlights of my week. But, right now, that is not the place I’m
in. Right now I’m a sleep deprived mama
who used to wonder why stay at home moms complained about their lack of free
time, and now TOTALLY understands. I can’t
keep my house clean, I can’t keep up with my laundry, I rarely have time to
myself, and I haven’t had a full night’s sleep in over eight months. Joy for Christian practices is just not here
for me right now.
But the good news is that the outward picture is not the
important one. It is the inward change
that counts. And obviously, I need an
inward change. So, my prayer in the New
Year has been for God to give me a heart that desires to be in his word and
with his people. This prayer is a relief
to me because I know I can’t make myself do
all the right things. And truthfully, if
I was able to go through the motions, I know that my heart would just become
more and more bitter toward all the activity and further and further from
Christ. I’m so thankful that I have a
God who will give his Holy Spirit to change me from the inside out – who will
give me a desire to grow close to him if I ask for it. Now, I won’t lie. I have not magically changed my ways in these
first nine days of 2015. But praying for
a heart change has helped. And I have
been walking with Christ long enough that I know as my heart changes, the
practices will become meaningful again.
No comments:
Post a Comment