34 Then Simeon blessed
them, and he said to Mary, the baby’s mother, “This child is destined to cause
many in Israel to fall, but he will be a joy to many others. He has been sent
as a sign from God, but many will oppose him. 35 As
a result, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword
will pierce your very soul.” Luke 2:34
This year, I’ve been thinking about Mary,
the mother of Jesus. Actually, I
probably think about Mary every year at Christmas. I remember when I was in high school and
probably close to Mary’s age, I related to her in the fact that she had to deal
with an inexplicable pregnancy. I was
definitely the good girl growing up – not as holy as she, I’m sure – but I
definitely wasn’t sleeping with boys. If
God had come to me at that point in my life and asked me to carry his child, my
first concern would have been about my reputation and dealing with the social
stigma of being pregnant and not married.
When I was pregnant with Daniel last Christmas, I remember thinking
about Mary again. How hard it must have
been for her to ride on a donkey for a long journey while big and uncomfortable
and likely having contractions. How
difficult it must have been to give birth and try to recover alongside a man
with whom she had never been intimate and likely didn’t know very well. I hope God provided support for Mary in ways
the Bible doesn’t mention. In his great
provision, I feel like he probably did.
But, still, my heart has always gone out to her.
This year, as I hold my own son, my firstborn,
I think again about Mary. I know Jesus
was her Savior. I know that in the end,
if not all along, she knew that, too.
But I wonder if more often than her Savior, he was just her little boy –
her baby. You see, this Christmas I have
learned that there is absolutely nothing like a mother’s love. I love my family, I love my husband, I have
friends I love like family, but none of that compares to the way I love
Daniel. My love for him is full of awe
and wonder and a fierceness I have never felt before. This love is also absolutely full of
sacrifice. I have given almost
everything to be Daniel’s mother. I’ve
sacrificed my cute figure and, while I’m gradually getting my waist back, my
body has changed in ways I know will be permanent. My relationship with Andy has grown in many
ways but has also changed in others – we no longer have dinners completely
focused on one another. In fact, many
nights, one of us shovels down our food to go bathe the crying baby in the room
and put him to bed. My days are all
about Daniel. I structure workouts and
cleaning and time with friends around his nap schedule. I don’t go to the bathroom in peace anymore,
and I often use the toilet with a baby standing on my knees or crying outside a
door. I rarely find time to do my nails
or curl my hair or take a long bath – all activities I enjoyed before having
Daniel. When I fall into bed at night,
it is usually with the exhaustion of giving all I had to give, and with the
knowledge that I will get up at least once before morning with my sweet boy. And honestly, even on the worst days, I’m
thankful every minute for the opportunity to make these sacrifices.
I have no doubt that Mary also knew what it
was to be a mother who makes sacrifices for her children. Mary didn’t only sacrifice her bathroom
privileges and her alone time. She
sacrificed her entire reputation. I come
from a small town, and I know what it is like to have everyone know everything
and know it forever. I have no doubt
that in her tight knit Jewish community, the whispers must have followed
her: “That
is Mary – you know she was pregnant before she got married. Mmmhmm… with the oldest, Jesus.” That time she and Joseph spent in Egypt may
have helped, but I’m sure it didn’t clear memories. It probably added fuel to the fire for some: “Yep, they moved away for a while – probably
hoping to spare her family the shame.” Furthermore, Mary was not only a mother to
Jesus. We know that Jesus had four
brothers and an unspecified number of sisters.
I am sure she knew what it was to sacrifice her wishes and desires to
care for all her children.
As mothers, we are wired to give everything
for our children. I truly believe that
God created in mothers a natural inclination to be willing to sacrifice – we
start giving from the very moment of conception. I know that Andy would lay down his life for
Daniel, but his love is a love that pushes Daniel to become independent and
self-sufficient. My love is a love that
protects at any cost, and I think God designed it to be that way. So when I think about Mary watching her baby
carry a cross for her sins, my heart is heavy.
You see, I doubt she saw a King of Kings under that weight. I bet she saw the glittering eyes of a
toddler who loved people and whose dark eyes filled with light when they passed
strangers in the market. When she saw
the hair matted in blood, and pricked by a crown of thorns, I bet she saw the
soft baby tresses that she once combed with her fingers as she rocked him to
sleep – on those nights when he was the only baby in her home. When she saw the bulging muscles lifting the
wood from his lacerated shoulders, I bet she remembered the teenage arms that
slowly became big enough to wrap her in a bear hug – the little boy who started
to tower over his mother. I bet she
remembered laughing at how quickly he was growing and about how he was eating
her out of house and home. When he
passed her, and she saw the torn skin of his back, I wonder if she caught a
glimpse of his birthmark – a small design on his lower back that she kissed
every time she changed his clothes. A
mark most didn’t know existed now exposed to the crowd. As his feet staggered, I wonder if she was
reminded of tickling his little toes or watching him take his first steps or
seeing those same feet run with his brothers in the yard as they played.
Jesus was Mary’s Savior, but I don’t think
she always thought about that when she saw him.
I think she thought of him as the son she loved. The son who sacrificed for her when she was
so accustomed to sacrificing for him.
Don’t get me wrong, I truly believe that in moments of quiet reflection
and definitely after his death, Mary knew Jesus as Savior. Jesus’ brother James became the leader of the
Jewish church. Who Jesus was always
meant to be must have become clear to his family and likely brought comfort,
but I also wonder if, as she was surrounded by her family, Mary had moments
where she was consumed by the empty chair in the room and the absence of her
first born.
This Christmas, my heart is full for Mary
the mother of Jesus and for the sword that pierced her heart. I type this blog with my sleeping son lying
next to me. I look at him cuddled around
his paci in his footie pajamas, and I can’t imagine having to watch him walk
the path to Golgotha. I am so thankful
God didn’t choose me. I am so grateful
that I was not asked to be the mother to the Savior of the world. And this Christmas, I am forever thankful for
the great sacrifices Mary made that allowed Jesus to pay the price for my sins.

No comments:
Post a Comment