Sunday, March 13, 2011

Flowers Fade


Today I went to Lowe’s Foods. They have the most beautiful bouquets of flowers right in the front of the store. I notice them every time I go in because they are usually packed full with one of my favorite flowers…Gerber Daises. Today, I bought one. I never buy flowers. They seem like such a waste of money because they don’t last, but I love to look at them. It seemed like the perfect day for flowers, too, because the weather is WONDERFUL, and spring is in the air. So I picked a bouquet of beautiful orange daisies and put them in my shopping cart.

Buying the flowers made me think of that verse in Isaiah (40:8 to be exact) that says, “The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.” It made me think of how beautiful God’s word really is. I love flowers. I will notice these every day and smile when I see them. I might even take time to bend down and try to catch their scent. Flowers make me happy – quite honestly, I think they make everyone happy. Ever been in an office when someone gets flowers from her husband or boyfriend? All the women go crazy. One of my coworkers has a boyfriend who has sent her flowers at work twice, and both times it was a beautiful event on our hallway.

Shouldn’t God’s word be the same? A beautiful flower that captures our attention when we catch its scent? Shouldn’t it be better because it has stood and will stand forever? Shouldn’t I approach the word with more enthusiasm than I approach the flower stand at the grocery store? Do I do that? No. Not nearly often enough. Sometimes God’s word becomes to me an old silk plant that I think is worn out, faded. It was nice to have the reminder that his word never fades, never wears out, never loses its sparkling beauty. So, while I enjoy the flowers that will last in my kitchen for a few days, I should enjoy even more Psalm 46:10 that is painted on the wall behind them and will stand forever and ever.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, the picture is absolutely beautiful! Enjoy the flowers.

    ReplyDelete