Saturday, September 15, 2012

Field Trips


Didn’t you just love field trips when you were a kid?  Remember riding the school bus to some exciting place, eating peanut butter and jelly or turkey and cheese (you got to pick!), and choosing a canned soda out of a cooler (before the schools became really health conscious)?  I bet you can name a few you took right now.  I remember going to Morrow Mountain as a kid, and it is where I learned to identify poison ivy and poison oak – 3 or 5 leaves equals bad news on little green plants.  Once, we went to the Indian Mound, and we learned more about Native American culture and were shown how to find arrow heads.  One brave teacher even took us to Charlotte to go to The Discovery Place, and I remember learning about static electricity and magnetic pull.  I was supposed to go to Raleigh to learn about government in the 4th grade, but the class a year ahead of us took that trip, and a girl got hit by a car (she was fine), so we didn’t get to go – maybe that is why I know almost nothing about state government!  Field trips are awesome learning experiences.  I love them so much, that as a teacher, I took my kids on as many trips as I could.  In fact, we took three every year to a different college campus, and when my kids graduated from high school, the field trips where always the things they mentioned when discussing great high school memories. 

 

The great thing about field trips is that they give students a “hands on” lesson or experience.  When I took kids to college campuses, it gave them a preview of what it would be like to be a college student.  It allowed them a small experience that gave them a taste of what it was like to be something they weren’t.  Field trips were awesome in school, but they are even more awesome in real life.  This week, God revealed to me an experience that is giving me wonderful insight into who he is – very much like a field trip – and I can’t wait to share what I’m learning!

 

As you know, from my previous blogs, I just started a new job.  I am teaching 9th grade at a school in Charlotte.  I am more than thankful to have a job, but making the transition has surprisingly been the hardest part about moving to Charlotte.  I thought missing my friends and church would be the worst part about moving, but it turns out that missing my job has been the worst.  You see, my old job at FCHS was the first job I took out of college.  In fact, it was even the first real interview I ever had, and I accepted the job in April before I was called for more interviews, so before this year, it was the only interview I’d ever had.  I spent five years at FCHS, and I quickly earned a leadership role in the building.  In addition to serving on some committees and leading some professional development, I was blessed to work in a strong department, so rarely was I under much scrutiny by the end of my time there.  Seeing an administrator in my room was an unlikely occurrence, and I felt like I had a lot of autonomy.  Teaching in one school for many years also allowed me to teach several pairs of siblings, and because my classes were yearlong, I got to know the kids well.  I had good relationships with the parents in the community, and last year, I really enjoyed working the baseball gates because it gave me an opportunity to catch up with parents with whom I had formed fairly close relationships.

 

This year is a field trip in a totally different environment.  This year, I am the new kid on the block, and I see an administrator in my room at least once every other day.  I have already been scheduled for a formal and peer observation since I am new.  I can tell that teachers are talking to each other about me and trying to determine whether I was indeed a good hire, and I have absolutely no reputation in the building.  On Open House night, a parent told me that he hoped I could handle the 9th graders because I seemed too sweet to be a high school teacher – I haven’t heard that one since my first year teaching!  There are no kids telling my current students, “She is tough but fair,” or “You better not sleep in her class,” so I’m dealing with kids testing the limits and trying to discover what makes me tick on their own with no help from older siblings or friends.

 

This week, a conversation with a very well meaning school official left me in tears.  In a one on one meeting, this person attempted to offer what I'm sure was considered helpful advice, but considering my years of experience in the topic at hand, I only felt condescended.  I left work frustrated and upset and missing FCHS so much it ached.

 

When I finally allowed myself to pray about the situation, I realized that what got hurt the most in the conversation I had this week was my pride.  While I am not arrogant, and I do always work to make myself a better teacher and employee, I realized I had become prideful.  I was proud of my resume and the ways I was involved in school, and I was proud of what I was doing in the classroom.  I was proud that people noticed it.  Now, suddenly, I have nothing to be prideful about.  I have no accomplishments at my new school, no reputation, and no significant professional relationships.  I’m starting all over in all of those areas, but it is worse than my first year because I’m bringing to the table a head full of knowledge that no one knows (or cares) I have.  I am a nobody.

 

But you know what God showed me this week?  He likes nobodies.  Yesterday morning, he woke me up extra early, so I was able to do a little bit of Bible reading in the morning – a practice I usually do in the afternoon.  The scripture I immediately came to was Philippians 2:1-18. The verse that stood out first was, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”  Immediately, I felt like the Lord was convicting my prideful heart and reminding me that serving him and other people was more important than any other recognition.  The next verses are the most powerful, though, because they give the example of Jesus, who was God, coming to earth to be killed for our sins.  Verse 7-8 say, “Rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness and being found in appearance as a human being, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross!”  Jesus had EVERY SINGLE reason to be prideful.  He was God!  Instead, he was disbelieved by his family, disrespected by people who considered themselves religious scholars, and put to death by Roman soldiers.  I wonder if he ever wanted to just say, “Forget this!  You all don’t even know who you are dealing with!”  Maybe he did, but he didn’t.  Instead, he behaved with grace and wisdom, and he made us more important than himself. 

 

I love that the Lord has taken me on this little field trip and put me in a job that gives me a super tiny view of what Jesus might have felt.  There are times at work when I just want to throw in the towel and go running back to a school of people who know and love me, but I can’t.  Maybe there were times when Jesus longed for heaven and his position there, and he could have returned, but he didn’t.  He put our need ahead of his own desires.  I’m so thankful for his example and his gift of my new experience that gives me more insight into his character and how to be like him.  In this new stage of life, the Lord is reminding me to put my pride aside – it is sinful and of no use – and instead, embrace every opportunity to remember I am working for his glory and the benefit of other people.  Yesterday afternoon, I had an opportunity to help a new teacher with her lesson plans.  She is an awesome first year teacher but really struggling with her plans and her self-confidence.   Though I had several things I wanted to do instead, I felt the Lord knocking on the door of my heart that working out of selfish ambition and the desire to prove myself wasn’t the way, so I put my own “to do” list aside and planned with her, and instead of leaving work stressed, I left refreshed and thankful for the opportunity to become a tiny little bit more like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment