2
Disclaimers:
1) This
blog was written with Andy’s full knowledge and permission and was not posted
until he had given it.
2) This
blog would be beneficial to any reader, but my target audience for any blog
(and especially this one) is always women.
I just
started a Bible study by Mary Kassian, and today she had one of those questions
where you were supposed to look up scripture and apply it to a question. I’m embarrassed to say that one of the
scriptures was Psalm 119:105, and I didn’t recognize the reference. When I looked it up, I could have kicked
myself. The verse is, “Your word is a
lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.”
Sorry for the King James Translation – that is how I memorized it years
ago, and therefore, how it must appear in this blog. I love this verse. Today, as I was looking it
and thinking about how God has given us the Bible to clearly guide our paths, I
found myself drawing parallels to an activity that is happening in my classroom
right now.
I am
teaching 9th grade IB students.
The IB program is similar to the AP program and allows students to earn
college credit in high school and graduate with a special certificate
indicating that they have finished the program.
The program is really cool because it truly focuses on the student as an
entire learner. One major goal of the
program is to develop well-rounded lifelong learners and critical
thinkers. As such, when we do projects
in class much more emphasis is placed on the process of planning and creating a
product than on the product itself.
Right now, my students are writing children’s books that can be used to
teach an important character trait. I’ve
given them really detailed instructions on how this project is graded, and I’ve
stressed over and over the importance of the process – especially the
brainstorming process – over the children’s book itself, but they are DYING to
start their books. It is taking
everything I have to keep them focused on the instructions in front of them and
not jumping ahead into their own thing.
Reading
this verse and thinking about my crazy day in school today reminded me that we
behave so much the same way with God’s words.
He has given us instructions that should make our lives easier and our
reward greater. About keeping God’s
laws, Psalm 19:11 says, “In keeping them there is much reward.” If my students would follow my instructions,
their project would run much smoother, and their grades would be better. Right now, they feel like I’m giving them
extra work and making their lives more difficult. They wonder why they have to fully document
the process when they are ready to write their books, and they want me to let
them off the hook. However, I know that
they are going to be evaluated by a certain rubric and that if they don’t take
the steps to document their brainstorming now, they will regret it when they
see their grades. I think God is the
same way with us. He has given us rules and
guidelines, but they aren’t for his benefit.
He isn’t trying to make our lives more difficult, and he doesn’t get
pleasure out of watching us squirm. He
is trying to make our way clear. He is
trying to light our paths and make it easy for us to get the reward and to
experience the joy that comes with following his word (Psalm 19:8).
Think
about it – you have probably found yourself in situations where you really
followed the Lord and felt such a great reward and so much joy from it, and you
have also probably been in situations where you have not followed and been
kicking yourself. I have kicked myself
sooo many times!
I had a
situation once in college where a close friend was walking a path I didn’t
think was wise, but instead of showing her the love of Jesus, I turned my
back. I was horribly judgmental and
prideful, and I was so critical of her decisions. It was not the way the Lord would have had me
do the relationship. The lamp unto my
feet said speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), and not let any unwholesome
talk come from my mouth but only what was useful for building others up
according to their needs (Ephesians 4:29), and to first take the speck out of
my own eye (Matthew 7:5). But I ignored
all of that. I walked in darkness, and I
reaped that “reward.” I destroyed a
special friendship, and I didn’t have any part in seeing my friend walk back to
the Lord. She turned from the path she
was on – but to no thanks from me, and though God has been gracious and brought
me her forgiveness for my actions, we are no longer close friends. There are times when I think of our
friendship, and I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I had
followed God’s word in that situation.
There
are also situations where I have definitely followed the Lord and reaped such
benefits. I can’t believe I’m about to
share this very personal detail on my blog, but I feel that it absolutely fits
the topic, and maybe it will help someone somewhere. So here it goes. One way that I have been able, truly by the
grace of God, to follow the Lord is in the area of purity. Until my wedding night, I followed God’s call
absolutely to be sexually pure – truly there was not even a hint of sexual
immorality in my life (Ephesians 5:3). I
have to give credit to every guy I dated, and especially my husband, for making
it so easy for me to follow the Lord in this area, but I also have to say that
the reward for following God in this area absolutely could not be greater. Until my wedding night, I think I followed
the Lord kind of blindly. I knew he said
to be sexually pure – so I absolutely was (and if any girls out there want to
know more details about what that means to me, please email me: shannonvspeight@gmail.com). But after my honeymoon, I just had such an
enormous understanding of why this precept was so important – at least for
girls. On my wedding night, I cannot
describe how important it was for me to know that Andy was completely committed
to me forever no matter what BEFORE I slept with him. And he didn’t just say he was
committed – he pledged it in front of all our friends and family and God. He didn’t tell me what I wanted to hear – he
showed me in a wedding ceremony. Lots of
guys say they are committed or they will marry girls, but we have to admit that
there really isn’t a commitment until there is one!
I
became so much more passionate about waiting for marriage AFTER I got married
than before. I can’t describe how
thankful I am that I know with surety that Andy married me for myself and not
for my body or what I can do for him sexually – in fact, those things mattered
so little that he married me without knowing them. I also look at the girls I know who sacrificed
pieces or all of their purity and broke up with boyfriends before they got
married, and my heart breaks for them and what they lost to a guy who didn’t
want to commit to them. My heart also breaks
for their husbands who didn’t get to know them exclusively in that way. I think it is equally as sad to see the
message future husbands communicate to the girls that will be their future
wives when they say, “I’m not ready to marry you – I want to finish school or
save more money or buy you a ring or give you time to plan a wedding – BUT I do
want your body now (or as much of it as you will give).” How selfish – and what kind of ground work is
being set for the marriage? Certainly
not the groundwork the Lord lay when he said in Hebrews 13:4, “Marriage should
be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the
adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
I don’t
want the message to be too harsh, so I’m going to shift gears for a
moment. Admittedly, the truth hurts at
times, but the wonderful light giving truth of the Bible is that there is
forgiveness for any sin. Praise the Lord
that he forgave me for my sin against my friend in college, and I’m also super
thankful for her forgiveness in the matter as well. God washed that away, and I know he no longer
remembers it. He can do that with sexual
sin or any other area of sin in our lives that we are willing to turn away
from. 1 John 1:9 says “If we confess our
sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from
all unrighteousness.” He will make us
totally clean and holy and right. The
sad part is, though, that sometimes the consequences of our sin linger. For example, though I am right in God’s eyes
and right with my friend, I have lost the relationship that could have grown
deep in the years we were estranged if I had acted according to God’s
precepts. He made us right again, and I
know that he can do that for any struggle of yours, but I guess I hope that
this blog might speak truth to you that his ways are always so much better than
ours, and that he gives us a light to direct our every path and answer our
every question if we are just willing to follow it. Just like my students. If they don’t follow my instructions for this
project today, we can still get them on the right track before it is due, but
it would be so much easier for them if they follow my guidelines from the
beginning. If you are like me, you have
probably messed up in some areas, are getting right some areas right, and
trying desperately to follow in a lot of other areas. My encouragement today is that you let God
have the mistakes and that you be washed in his forgiveness (Isaiah 1:18-19),
that you persevere in the areas where you are finding success (James 1:12), and
that you strive to follow the Lord and his word with every decision that comes
your way in the future (Psalm 119:10-11).
Great post, Shannon. Thank you for sharing all of this. Unfortunately, I am in the "others" category and it has taken many, many years to even BEGIN the healing process. I wish more young women (and men) could know how important it is to stay pure and why the Lord has instructed us to do so.
ReplyDeleteOh but what a wonderful testimony you just had to share on this blog that might be encouraging to someone else! Isn't it cool how God can work all things together for good? Thank you so much for sharing!
Delete