Andy and I were watching a movie last night and the
character said, “You’re always looking to the next thing. You think, when I get married, or when we
have kids, or when the kids grow up and leave home and it’s just us again, then
things will be different.” Her basic point was that she kept having hope
for her relationship with her husband to change thinking that a new stage of
life would bring improvement, but she was continuously disappointed.
You know, I think Christians are the same way – or at least
the Christian writing this blog is the same!
Lately, at least, I feel like I am always looking for happiness and
waiting on it to show up. I do some
looking forward, “When we have a new house (one without roaches and a nicer
bathroom)” or “When I’ve finally made friends in this town” or “When I’ve
figured out how to effectively manage teaching an increased number of students.” And I also do some looking back (ok, A LOT of
looking back): “If only Kristy, Amy, and Alycia taught at my new school,” “If
only Emily or Rebecca or Ashley or Sara or Marianne lived here,” or “If only I
was still living in my old house.” You
know where my focus is in ALL of those thoughts? Myself.
The absolute WRONG place for a focus to be.
In my Bible Study this week, our leader (whom I already
greatly admire) said, “Every morning I wake up and I say, ‘Good morning, Holy
Spirit. Who do you want me to serve
today?’” She followed her comment by
saying that before her feet hit the floor in the morning, the Holy Spirit puts
people in her mind that need her attention and care. From the time she wakes up, she makes other
people and their needs her focus. And she
shared several stories about how the timing of her service to others resulted
in amazing miracles for the glory of God.
You know what I think I’m learning lately, and why I think
her approach is perfect?
1. We aren’t made to be completely happy on earth. 2 Corinthians 5:1-5 compares earth to a tent that
we live in for now and that we groan and long for our heavenly home. Verse 5 says God made us feel this way so we
will feel the promise of what is to come.
One day this week, it hit me that I’ll probably never live in the same
place as some of my best friends again.
Andy doesn’t have a job that is flexible in terms of where we live, and
I have friends who will likely spend the rest of their lives in eastern North
Carolina. The realization makes me long
for heaven when we’ll finally all be in the same place again!
2. We are made to serve.
Isaiah 58:6-8 is too beautiful not to quote in this post. It says, “Is not this the kind of fasting I
have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every
yoke? Is it not to share your food with
the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the
naked to clothe them, and not to turn away from you own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the
dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go
before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.” God has asked us to bring healing and comfort
to those in need so that he can bless us.
Verse 9 goes on to say that after we do all of these things when we call
for help from the Lord he will answer us.
After we have answered the needs of others, he will answer our own
needs.
I’m also learning that I have it pretty good. My church has been doing a series on social
justice, and I’m also in a Bible Study with women who are really open about
their own struggles. Hearing the
problems other people deal with on a regular basis makes me so thankful that,
for now, God has blessed me with a loving husband, family, and friends. He has given me a good job and a comfortable
living situation and the freedom to practice my faith without persecution. Life on earth was never designed to be
perfect, and my expectations are way off if I look for it to be all the things
I desire it to be – I won’t find that kind of home until I go to heaven.
For now, it is my job to wake up in the morning and say, “Good
Morning, Holy Spirit. Who do you want me
to serve today?”
Shannon,
ReplyDeleteThis is so enlightening... Thank you... My biggest challenge in the mist of serving and praying is "when is it going to be my time..." I try not to feel guilty for thinking about ME because I know that while I am not supposed to be prioritizing myself, it is normal to have that desire. Then when I can have enough unconditional love for myself, I can slowly "let go" and give of myself to others. I'm also comforted by Hewbrews 11:1 which reminds me that “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” I know the word says to vie unto others and that by doing so we will be blessed... so we just have to keep the faith!
~Peace
Connie
conniemomari.com
blog.connieomari.com
Thank you, Connie! I love that verse in Hebrews. Good encouragement. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about about struggling to serve and then feeling guilty!!! Hope you have a great week. I'm putting your blog on my reading list :).
ReplyDelete