Sunday, March 3, 2013

Budgeting and Stewardship: Part 2


Could I just start this blog with a huge praise to Jesus?  Yesterday, as you know, Andy and I went house hunting again.  I might add that, although I had put on my “big girl pants” and wrote all those lovely things about being willing to sacrifice my dream house for a good school district, I was still a bit sad about Charlotte real estate.  Having just left my dream house in Greenville, I was swallowing a hard pill but truly believed everything I wrote, deciding that some things in this world are more important than houses we love.  And then came yesterday….

 

Andy and I met our agent, a wonderful Christian lady named Jill Castle (in case anyone in Charlotte is looking for someone), in Ballentyne to look at six houses.  We drove around, found three we liked, but one we loved at a price we’d wanted.  It would need some updates and repairs, but we were happy.  Jill agreed to go home and research what kind of offer we should make, and Andy and I left to celebrate over lunch.  After lunch, we drove the 25 minutes back to our home in Myers Park.  We hadn’t been in the house 10 minutes, and I was on the phone yapping away to my mom about the awesome house we’d found, when Andy came into the room and told me there was one more house Jill wanted us to see before we made an offer on the one we liked.  My sweet husband, good sport that he is, agreed to jump right back in the car and drive back to Ballentyne to see it.  And will you believe it?  It was our dream house!  Beautiful, move in ready, went on the market yesterday and already had had four views.  And it was a fair amount less than the first house we liked.  We went home, crunched numbers, looked at our budget again, and gave Jill the “go ahead” on an offer.  30 minutes later, we found out our offer was accepted – only an hour before someone else also submitted an offer!  If we had not been in the exact right place at the exact right time, we would have missed this beautiful gift from God.  I’m so thankful that he put us exactly where we needed to be, and I just wanted to say that with him anything is truly possible. 

 

Ok, now what this blog is really about – saving money! I have a few tips that I’m excited to share, but I want to reiterate that I’m not a genius at this stuff.  I’m definitely still learning, but there are a few things I’ve done (or others I know have done) that I think are helpful.

 

Clothes

1. Buy clothes out of season.  This is a hard thing to do because when I go shopping, I usually want something I can wear tomorrow, but the times I’ve been able to follow this rule, I’m thankful.  My favorite stores are Banana Republic and Ann Taylor Loft.   Both stores put out of season clothes on clearance when the new season arrives.  That is the time to shop.  You’ll be amazed at how you can find clothes for 60% off and more.  Then, you pack those clothes away for next year, and you feel like you are going shopping again (this time for free) when that season comes back!

 

2. Shop at Outlets.  The stores I mentioned above are my absolute favorite, but I always shop at the outlets.  That is kind of a pain at times because I don’t live all that close to the outlet stores, but the savings totally warrant the gas money.  Smithfield, NC has my favorite outlets, but Concord Mills is also good, and there are outlets in Mebane, NC that I’ve never tried but heard are good.  If you are a shopper and like to hunt for a deal, you can also find great deals at Goodwill.  I had a coworker who found the cutest clothes at Goodwill for $5 and under.  She knew my size and would often pick items up for me, so all I had to do was pay her back and skip the looking!

 

3. Look for sales. This one applies to men’s clothing for me.  JOS A. Bank and Men’s Warehouse will often have amazing deals – like buy one suit get two free.  When you consider how you can mix and match jackets and pants, you are getting a great deal.  It also helps to find those deals when you have to buy a suit anyway.  For example, this year, Andy had to buy a suit to be in JT’s wedding.  Since he was going to spend the money anyway, we felt like we were really winning to get the deals that came along with buying a suit.

 

4. Borrow from a friend.  Do you have a special event coming up and need a cute dress or shoes?  My friends and I swap clothes all the time.  Emily lives in Louisiana, but every time she came home to Greenville, she would raid my closet.  It helped her pack less and gave her some new items to wear when she was in town.  Now that I live in Charlotte, I steal from my mom all the time.  Several of the pictures on Facebook are me wearing my mom’s clothes, not mine!  How is that for a free way to get a cute look?  Oh, and don’t leave out the jewelry.  My friend, Rebecca, has the best jewelry, and we all borrow from her from time to time – jewelry completes a look, you know.  Men can do this, too, you know.  Last night, my brother, Casey, and I were talking and I told him I wanted to buy a tie for Andy this week to match my bridesmaid dress for his wedding.  He told me that he had a tie (that I had bought for him, no less!) that he would bring home with him when he comes this weekend.  Andy was pretty resistant to me buying a new tie for him (and those suckers are expensive), so this is a win-win!

 

Food

Last night, Casey and I were also discussing the bills that make us the most angry.  His is his electricity bill (which I’ll discuss next), and mine is my grocery/out to eat bill.  We were laughing at how ridiculous our complaints are, but nevertheless, they bother us.  So, here are some tips I’ve found to save money with the food budget.

 

1. Pack your lunch.  I’m a teacher with about 20 minutes to scarf down my food, make copies, and use the restroom during lunch.  Packing something that doesn’t need to be microwaved is my only option.  My sweet husband has a job that gives him an hour for lunch.  Granted, he often works through lunch but still.  How nice, right?  What was not nice was our food bill when he was eating lunch (and breakfast) at the office every day.  I know that could work for bachelors who value their time, but it didn’t work for this wife who hates to see that increasing food bill!  Now I pack both of our lunches every day, and he eats breakfast at home.  It saves us insane amounts of money.  Another tip on packing lunches – do them all on Sunday, and then all you have to do is grab them from the fridge or freezer on the weekday mornings.  My go to is a peanut butter sandwich, cheese its, and apple.  On Sundays, I make all my sandwiches and then freeze them (the bread stays fresh that way), put the cheese-its in plastic bags (cheaper than buying the individual packs), and slice up the apples and put them in separate bags.  In the mornings, all I do is grab a sandwich, chip bag, apple bag, and fill up my water bottle, and I’m good to go.

 

2. Coupon…if you can.  There is a lot of money to be saved by couponing.  I know this, and I have friends who do it sickeningly well.  I have tried, and I did save, but I never saved enough to make it worth my time.  I didn’t do it well enough, I know, but it was what it was.  If you are good at couponing (or want to try it), you need to check out this blog: southernsavers.com.  It is so well done and well organized.  It teaches you how to coupon and tells you where to find weekly deals at your local grocery stores.

 

3. Shop at Aldi and Walmart.  HUGE shout out to Marianne Cox for this one.  She is the best budgeter, I know, by the way.  She should be writing this blog.  Anyway, I was complaining to her about my grocery bill, and she recommended trying Aldi and substituting Walmart with what I couldn’t find (or didn’t like) at Aldi.  She said that she also shopped for two weeks at a time to reduce the amount of groceries she was buying.  I’ve only gone to Aldi twice since our conversation, but it has made a MIRACULOUS difference in my grocery bill.  I think we’ve reduced it by around 40% (from shopping at Harris Teeter with coupons AND the sales flyer).  I won’t know for sure until we’ve gone a whole month on the shift, but I highly recommend this shift.  Just remember to bring your own bags, a debit card or cash, and a quarter for the shopping cart when you go to Aldi. 

 

4. Groupon/Social Living/Coupon Books/Cheap Dates.  We live in Charlotte.  Talk about expensive restaurants all over the place.  However, going out to eat is one of my favorite things – especially on a Friday night.  Here are some tips for making that cheaper. 

            A. Buy Groupons (groupon.com) or Social Living (socialliving.com) coupons.  You can pay $20 for a $40 coupon for things like these.  Some people can even buy them through work.  My friend, Laura, bought a coupon for $4 through her office (Bank of America) that got us $40 worth of Indian food at a popular restaurant in Charlotte.  Those coupon books the high school kids are always selling are also great.  They usually have a buy one get one coupon, and they are good for all kinds of places.  Well worth the buy.  When you use them, though, don’t forget to tip on the full price of the meal – it is only fair to your server. 

            B. Order water.  DEFINITELY don’t order alcohol.  That is a TERRIBLE rip off.  If you are into having a glass of wine or beer, drink that at home.  Don’t pay $6-9 for it at the restaurant when you can get a bottle for $12-20.  Sodas and teas also rack up your bill, so think before you drink.

            C. Order Takeout.  If you order food to go, you don’t have to tip or can tip less (depending on the establishment) than you would if you were eating there.  Sometimes we enjoy doing takeout more than going to the restaurant.  We don’t have to wait for our food, and we can eat while watching a movie if we want.  Or we can set the table, light some candles, and have a very private, romantic dinner date.

            D. Go cheap.  My friend, Emily, and her husband, Ryan, often take date nights to Chic-fil-a.  Granted, they have a toddler, but I still think it is an awesome idea.  It is cheaper, but it still keeps you from cooking and gives you a night out to do something fun.

 

5. Socialize cheaper.  Ok, so here is the deal.  I know that in our age bracket, 19-30ish, going out to eat is a huge way to keep and develop friendships.  Relationships are important, but so is your budget.  Here are some ideas about how to maintain relationships and your budget: Don’t do lunch/dinner.  Consider going walking, running, or to the gym together.  You’ll get a free “date” and burn calories!  Not into that?  Go to coffee or get frozen yogurt together.  It is cheaper, but still social.  I also had friends that I would watch a TV show with.  We got quality time together every week, and we were both watching the same TV show, anyway.  Why not do it together?  My friend, Marianne, also suggested that she will use her lunch hour to meet a friend, but instead of eating lunch, she gets a coffee or smoothie.  That way she spends less, and she eats her packed lunch later or earlier than her lunch hour while she is working.

 

6. Eat leftovers.  You can’t expect to have a great food budget and not eat leftovers.  When I was single, I cooked one meal on Sunday night for dinner, and I ate off of it Monday-Thursday, allowing myself Friday to go out to eat.  Now, I cook 2-3 meals a week, but we eat them until they are gone.  If you aren’t loving the idea of eating the same thing all week, maybe you find a group of friends and you swap dishes.  My first year teaching, I met two girls in my apartment complex, and we’d all three cook a dish on Sunday, and then get together with our Tupperware containers to divide the casseroles.  That way, we all had different leftovers each night of the week. 

 

Energy Bill

Let’s attack Casey’s nemesis.  I have almost no great advice on saving in this area.  Basically, I just keep my house as cold as possible in the winter and as hot as I can stand it in the summer.  However, my brother, JT, has cut his energy bill practically in half over the past year or more with a special HVAC unit and a nest thermostat (I believe he also uses energy saving light bulbs).  He is also in the process of creating a program where people can share their energy bills online with the purpose of learning how to save on their energy bills.  When we get moved in to our new house, I’m going to get him to give me a tutorial on all he has learned, but if you want to follow his blog for insight, you can find it here: http://lamppostreports.com/2012/12/08/share-and-compare-december-electric-bill/

 

Ok, that blog was MUCH, MUCH too long.  Kudos to you if you were able to finish reading it!  Thanks for humoring me this weekend and happy saving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment