If one part suffers,
every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with
it. Now you are the body of Christ, and
each one of you is a part of it. 1 Corinthians 12:26-27
I have a group of friends who are like my sisters. They are the measure with which I define the
word “friend.” To some people, a friend
is someone they occasionally see for coffee or a workout. A person they call to check in with every now
and then. A person on their Christmas
card list. For me, a friend is someone
to whom I’m deeply loyal and passionate.
A person I know almost as well as I know myself. A woman I could easily call “sister.” These friends, for me, represent the body of
Christ. They help me make sense of 1
Corinthians 12:26-27, and while my closest friendships have lasted for years, a
recent celebration reminded me in full force what it means to be part of the
body of Christ.
My friend Rebecca announced she is pregnant. I wish I could describe the sense of elation
her news brought. You see, Rebecca and
her husband, Travis, have waited longer than they wanted for a baby. They didn’t get pregnant as quickly as they
had hoped, and during their season of waiting, they enlisted the prayers of
close friends and family. I was honored
to be one of the few asked to pray for their desire. Last spring, Rebecca and I met weekly one on
one for a Bible Study. It was a
beautiful time for us to study God’s word and pray together each week. There were times last year when our study
would end with both of us on our knees praying for her future child and my
upcoming marriage. There were times when
we cried together. Times when we laughed
at our doubts knowing that God had a purpose.
Times when we shared faith that was strong enough to move
mountains. Times when we, in tears,
shared fears that were overwhelming.
When Rebecca called to tell me she was pregnant, I was
overcome by thankfulness and flooded by memories of all the nights we spent
together, or I spent alone, begging God to send her a baby. I have never felt more joy for another person
in my entire life. Rebecca gave me
permission to tell Andy, and that night, I lay in bed beside him unable to fall
asleep because I was so overcome with happiness and excitement. I remember saying to him, “This is exactly
what the church should look like. We
should rejoice like this when others rejoice.”
It also occurred to me that the only reason I was able to rejoice with
Rebecca was because I had also been able to mourn with her. I was there to cry with her when God’s timing
didn’t turn out to be her timing. I was
there to plead with her to the Lord that he bless her and Travis with
children. And when it was time for her
to celebrate, I got to celebrate with her.
Last weekend, Rebecca had a gender reveal party. I wasn’t able to attend as I was at my
brother, Casey’s, rehearsal dinner, but during dinner, I kept my phone in my
lap waiting to find out if she and Travis would be welcoming a little boy or a
little girl. I could hardly stand the anticipation,
and when I got the text saying, “It’s a boy!” I could have cried again right in
the middle of my brother’s celebration at the opportunity to attach a name –
Davis Matthew Warren – to the awesome answer to prayer for this small body of
believers.
I loved having the backdrop of Davis’s reveal against the
beauty of my brother’s wedding. The next
day during Casey and Alley’s wedding ceremony, the priest asked the
congregation if they would support Casey and Alley in their vows, and in light
of Rebecca’s celebration, I was quick to ponder the seriousness of the vow the
priest was asking of the congregation.
The celebration is easy – the party, the wedding, the laughter and fun –
but the suffering is hard. The tears,
the support, the crises - those times are difficult, and it is hard to support
each other during the rough spots. From
experience, I know it is almost impossible to think of words of encouragement
and new ways to pray for the friend who is waiting and trying desperately to
trust – for a baby, a marriage, a healing.
The suffering is difficult and heart wrenching. The beautiful, wonderful truth, though, is
that we are blessed abundantly more when we’ve walked the rough road with those
people in our body of believers. We may
suffer more often when we invest in our friends, but we also celebrate more
frequently – and to a deeper extent knowing how God answered a desperate
prayer. In the past 12 months, through
my body of believers, I’ve gotten to celebrate three new baby boys, a new
engagement, two weddings, a new job, and a formerly hard-hearted family member
claim Jesus as Savior. God is good. This
is the church.

No comments:
Post a Comment