Saturday, March 23, 2013

On Singleness


I have a real heart for single women.  Maybe it was because I felt like I was single for so long.  I know I’m being a bit dramatic, but for someone who always wanted to be married right out of college, being single for six years past that point, felt like an enormous wait.  Add the wait to the fact that I could never make a relationship last more than four months and I stayed frustrated.  Please understand, too, that my relationships were few and very far between.  It would not be at all unusual for me to go an entire year without a single date.  During those college and early post-graduate days, singleness was easily my biggest struggle.  It was the answer I almost always gave to the Bible Study questions about where I needed to trust God, and it was at the top of my personal prayer list.  However, it was also an area about which I was often deeply ashamed, and this is where the church gets it wrong.  As a single woman in a Bible Study group or a Sunday School class or chatting with another Christian, the answer I almost always got when I voiced my fears over never being married or having a desire for a relationship was one of the two:

1. “You will never be ready for a relationship until you are at peace with your relationship with the Lord.  If you can’t be happy as a single person, you’ll never be happy as a married one.”

 2. “Be thankful to be single.  You think being married will fix all your problems.  It won’t.  In fact, it just gives you more problems.”

 

Typing these responses fills me with the same anger and frustration they did when I was receiving them.  This is where the church gets it wrong.  The first answer suggests that the single person is not at peace with their relationship with the Lord – and this is where shame came for me.  I rarely voiced my struggles with singleness because I almost always got that same response, and it made me feel like I was failing as a Christian.  I felt like the friend was telling me that I wasn’t finding my peace in the Lord, that I wasn’t looking to God for fulfillment.  I felt ashamed, and in great measure, I quit voicing my struggle.  Now that I’m married, I feel like I can say those women (and men) were wrong.  They were well intentioned in their advice, but they were still wrong. 

 

Here is what I’d tell a single friend: God made you for relationship.  It is normal to want to be married.  God himself said that he saw Adam needed a helper, so he created Eve.  Should your desire for a husband surpass your desire for God?  Absolutely not, but my experience with single women is that they are still single BECAUSE they have a greater desire for God than for marriage.  As a precious new friend recently told me through her tears, “If I wanted to be married, I could.  I could marry my non-Christian ex-boyfriend now, but I want to do this God’s way.  I want to marry a Christian, but I’m so afraid he won’t bring me a husband, and I’ll always be single.”  What she needed right that moment was not someone telling her that she needed to fix her relationship with God, that she needed to find her peace in him, that she was going about her desires the wrong way.  What she needed was a hug.  What she needed was someone to say that God had plans for her – wonderful, special plans.  That if he had placed a desire for marriage in her heart, he would honor it.  That even if his plan for her was singleness, he’d make it beautiful, and she’d be rewarded and loved and cared for in other ways.  What I told her was to keep trying, keep trusting, keep seeking – and to stay away from the ex-boyfriend!

 

The second response almost always came from married women, and it carried the same condescending implications as the first.  It implied that the single woman was shallow – believing marriage to be the magic pill to everything that is wrong in her world.  I know some single women do have an unrealistic view of marriage – I watch The Bachelor, remember?  But, from my own experience, I also know that most women don’t.  We know that a relationship won’t change everything that is wrong with our lives, but we also know that a relationship means we won’t be sitting home alone AGAIN on a Friday night, that we won’t have to walk into the group setting AGAIN by ourselves, that we will have someone to talk to at the end of a long day.  I think many married women take that relationship for granted, and now that I am married, I don’t think enough women see how beautiful marriage really is.

 

So this part of the blog is to married women, to remind them to have grace and kindness and compassion for the single women in their midst, and it is to the single women to tell them that they aren’t crazy or bad Christians or weird and desperate to want the be in a relationship.  Here is what I’ve learned about singleness and marriage.

 

1. Singleness is really hard.  It is lonely and scary.  It is normal to struggle and have moments of fear.  It is normal to think about your eggs drying up and count the months, “Even if I met a man tomorrow, it would still be three years at least before we’d have children, which means I’d be 33, which means I probably can’t have four kids anymore.”  It is normal to cry in your closet some days.  It does not mean you are a bad Christian or you don’t love Jesus or you are one of those scary, desperate girls who will grow old with cats.  It just means you are human.  The point is to keep struggling.  Keep struggling to trust God, to have faith, to seek him.  Keep trying to rest in him and believe he will provide, but know it is totally ok to be afraid sometimes – God gets it.

 

2. Miracles happen.  When I was in the middle of a year without a single date, I loved to think of Rebekah in Genesis.  One day she went to the well and met the servant of Abraham who wanted to take her home with him to marry Isaac.  In one day, her whole life changed.  Here’s what happens when I was still single after college – my routine was set.  I had my job, my friends, my church.  It wasn’t like college when each new class brought potential new friends or boyfriends.  I didn’t know where I’d possibly meet new people.  But then I thought of Rebekah.  She got her chance to marry Isaac in the middle of her everyday life.  Who would have thought her life would change at the well she visited every day for water.  Don’t be discouraged wondering where you’ll meet someone.  If God has a husband for you, you will meet him.  Miracles happen every day.

 

3. Marriage is awesome.  I know I haven’t been married long, but I also haven’t been away from singleness for so long that I can’t remember it well, and I can say with 100% certainty that marriage is a million times better than singleness.  Women who say otherwise either don’t remember or didn’t know what it was like to be single, or don’t have a happy marriage at the moment.  My absolute favorite part of marriage is that I have a buddy.  I don’t have to sit home alone on a Friday night.  I don’t have to go into a new environment alone.  I have someone to talk to at dinner instead of eating alone in front of the TV.  Marriage didn’t fix all my problems, and it did create new ones – I have learned that I’m selfish, I have had to adjust to doing twice as much laundry, my house isn’t as clean as I would like, I don’t always get the last piece of cake – but being married HAS answered the singleness struggle.  It has given me hope that I won’t grow old alone and that I’ll have kids before my eggs dry up.  It has shown me the truth of God’s word when he said, “Two are better than one.”

 

4. Married women should have compassion on single women.  My hardest critics when I was struggling were married women.  Here is what I’ve noticed about many married women – they are either bitter in their marriage and can’t offer anything good to say about it, or they don’t truly understand singleness, and they are insensitive to the struggle.  If you are an unhappy married woman, it would be wise to remember that marriage, as God designed it, is good.  Obviously everyone struggles in marriage, and it is good to offer realistic points of view, but spewing negativity about something God designed isn’t healthy – for the speaker or the listener.  Also, if you are a married woman who never struggled with singleness, be willing to admit that you don’t entirely understand the struggle.  Nothing is more hurtful than hearing pious criticism from women who don’t understand a single woman’s fears.  Know, however, that never being single does not prevent you from being a good encourager.  Two of my best friends are girls who were never truly single.  They both began dating their husbands in high school and married young.  They did not personally experience the struggles that come with singleness, but they have been two of my best encouragers because they took time to listen to my fears and doubts.  They admitted that they didn’t understand the feelings themselves, but they took time to see from my point of view and offer encouragement.  They are also two of the happiest people I know in their relationships with their spouses and have helped keep my expectations of marriage realistic.

 

I would like to apologize to all the single women who have been wounded by the church on this issue.  The church gets it wrong.  It gets it wrong when it makes women feel ashamed or embarrassed or less than Christian when they admit these struggles of singleness.  The response women get in Bible Studies and Sunday School and even through the pastor in Sunday morning messages is not the response Jesus would give.  Jesus would give compassion, kindness, gentleness, and hope.  Jesus would whisper, “Keep going.  Keep trusting.  Keep believing.”  And that is what I want to tell single women today.  My prayer for you is that, You will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way.  Follow it, whether it turns to the right or to the left.” – Isaiah 30:21.

No comments:

Post a Comment