Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and inspired by a blog I
follow (simplysincere.com), I decided to take the next
four days and send little shout outs to some of the “mom figures” in my
life. I’ll be saving the best (my mom of course!) for last. She’ll
get her shout out on Sunday which is actually Mother’s Day. Today, my
thanks and love go to two women who have been amazing mentors to me over the
years. Their names are Marianne Cox and Kristy Dail.
I met Marianne when I was a sophomore in college. She came
into my life to lead my college Bible Study and very quickly became a spiritual
and life mentor. So here’s to Marianne:
Marianne,
I don’t know what my life would look like without you. You are the person
who first taught me practical ways to make every decision based on faith. From you, I think I’ve learned more about the
Bible and God than any other single person.
Not only have you helped me learn more the Lord, but you’ve taught me
more about life, too. From you, I learned
that cooking chicken in a crockpot is far superior than boiling it, that
budgeting comes down to making a spreadsheet and saving receipts, and that the
solutions to relationship problems are never as hard to find as I think. You are the person I call when I’m trying to
cut my grocery bill in half, when I want to pick a new paint color, or when
Andy and I are having a conflict that requires outside wisdom.
You are
the sweetest, wisest person I know. My
favorite memories of you will always be those months leading up to my wedding
when we went on long walks, and I told you every single thing I feared about
becoming a wife and moving to Charlotte.
I will never forget the way you weighed my concerns and assured me that
the future would definitely not be as scary as I was imagining – you were so
right! I know your husband, whom I love,
will always believe he did our marriage counseling, but I am convinced that I
would not be half the wife I am without your influence. I love you so much, and I’m beyond thankful
that God put you in my life. Happy
Mother’s Day! – Shannon
Kristy Dail is another “mom” figure who has been a professional
and spiritual mentor in my life. She
helped hire me for my first job as an English teacher at Farmville
Central. Here is my shout out to Kristy:
Kristy, I
will never forget meeting you in Mrs. Galberth’s office when I was about to
graduate from graduate school and was interviewing for the job. Your big smile and energy immediately
attracted me, and you are the reason I wanted to work at Farmville
Central. I am the teacher I am today
because of you. You taught me what it
looks like to make teaching fun – to cut up and relax (when I can!) and enjoy
being in a classroom full of crazy kids.
You taught me not to take my job too seriously, and even though I
struggle with that one, when I am trying to get myself out of a funk, you are
always the one I think about. You – with
your funny stories about kids fighting or still not understanding subject/verb
agreement or asking insane questions – are the person who cheers me up. You’ve taught me what it looks like to laugh
it off, and I know you and Amy will probably never believe this, but I’m
getting better and better at finding humor and joy in the craziness of each
day.
You are
also the person who has made it the hardest for me to be away from
Greenville. I thought I’d miss my
college or church friends the most, but it turns out my coworkers are the ones
I’ve missed the most. Thank you for
being my friend and coach and mentor for five years. Thank you for pushing me to be a teacher
leader and for giving me opportunities to practice those skills. Thank you for showing me how to love Jesus by
loving my students. Thank you for your
encouragement and love and help professionally.
Thank you, also, for being there for me personally and for all the
prayers I know you have sent up on my behalf.
My best memory of you will always be the year I came to your room after
school in tears because Andy and I had broken up and pleaded with you to let me
teach remediation that day, so I wouldn’t have to put on a fake happy face at
the staff Christmas party. You saw how
exhausted and worn down I was, and you didn’t ask questions but agreed to let
me teach the class that day as a legitimate way to skip the party. I remember thinking you’d go down to the
party after you got your desk organized, but you didn’t. You stayed.
You pretended, I’m sure now, to work.
Then you jumped in and did a little coteaching before running down to
the party at the last minute and bringing back plates of food that we ate after
the class. I don’t remember you pushing
me to tell you all the details of my breakup.
I just remember you being there when I needed you most. For so many reasons, I will be forever
thankful I started my teaching career at Farmville Central and with you. Thank you, my friend, for being who you
are. I sure do love you! Shannon
PS - Why do I not have a picture of us together?? You need to come visit so we can fix that :).
No comments:
Post a Comment