Mother’s Day is tomorrow!
That means that today is my last day writing about my favorite mothers besides my own, so I feel the need to
lump several into one post.
Some of my favorite mothers are the people in my life who
show me what motherhood means. Those
people would be my friends – women who allow me to see when they are frustrated
or overworked or wornout, but who also email me the cute pictures of their kids
and call with funny and sweet stories and invite me to their birthday
parties. I’m beyond blessed to have some
wonderful mothers as my close friends, and I hope they will be a wellspring of
advice when Andy and I start a family.
So, here is a little about each of my friends:
![]() |
| Laura with her husband, Dennis, Aliye and Jace |
Laura Mabry: Laura is my high school best friend. We actually met in middle school when she
moved in two doors down from my family, and some of my best childhood memories
are with her. She was the first of my
friends to get married and the first to have a baby. Her oldest, Aliye, is 5 years old and her
youngest, Jace, is less than a year. Through
parenting, Laura has taught me what it means to love children forever. Staying pregnant hasn’t been easy for Laura,
and in between Aliye and Jace, she suffered a few miscarriages. Even though she’ll only meet those children
in heaven, Laura has special ways in which she remembers those babies on earth. She won’t let them be forgotten or overlooked
in her heart. Laura has shown me that
what everyone says about a mother’s love is true – it begins as soon as she knows
she is a mom, and it will not die. Aliye
and Jace are so blessed to grow up with a mother who loves them forever and
always. I have complete confidence that
there is nothing those two children could ever do that would make Laura love
them less, and I love that about her.
![]() |
| Emily, James, and Harison |
Emily Holland: Emily is one of my best friends from
college. She got married a week later
than Laura, and her oldest, James, is two and her youngest, Harrison, is still
in her belly – only four weeks or so from being born. Emily’s kids are the ones I hear the most
about. She might live in Louisiana, but
I feel like I know James as well as if I saw him every weekend because she is
quick to share stories and send pictures.
Emily is an awesome parent. She
used to be an elementary school teacher, and she raises James with the same
discipline and love she used in teaching.
What I love the most about Emily is that all her decisions regarding how
she raises James are thoughtful and purposeful.
I remember her telling me one time that she was having trouble with
James running away from her when she told him it was time to get dressed. She identified his response as a behavior
issue, and I asked her how she handled it.
She responded (like the situation was a no-brainer), “Well, you know he
is 2. He wants to be independent and make his own choices, so I just laugh and
tickle him and then ask if he wants to put on his pants or shirt first.” She followed up by saying that the important
part of the conflict for her was that he did what she told him to do – put on
his clothes – but she understood the important part for him was that he got to
decide what he wanted to do, and she let him have that independence. I love that Emily sees the big picture when
it comes to parenting. She and her
husband are quick to consider how their parenting decisions will affect the
person James becomes in the future and they, like my own mom, support the
belief that if the behavior won’t be cute when he is 15, it shouldn’t be
treated like it is cute when he is 2. I’m
so proud to know Emily and call her friend, and I can’t wait to see what type
of men her sweet boys become.
![]() |
| Rebecca and her sweet niece Doesn't it show what an awesome mom she'll be? |
Rebecca Warren: Rebecca is another friend from college. She and Emily actually grew up together. Rebecca got married six years ago and is
pregnant with her first baby, Davis Matthew.
I haven’t had the opportunity yet to see how Rebecca will raise Davis,
but I have had the opportunity to see how badly she wanted him way before
she was pregnant. Rebecca reminds me of
Hannah in the Old Testament who begged and begged God to give her a child and
promised to dedicate her baby to him if he would. God gave her Samuel whom Hannah later sent to
live with a priest so that he could be raised in God’s house. I love Hannah because it shows that a mother’s
love is deep and desperate and self-sacrificing. Rebecca is the same way. She wanted Davis deeply before she ever knew
him, and she and her husband sought God desperately to bless them with
him. They believed God and his promises
to give them children, and in August, we will welcome their precious baby. Rebecca has shown me that much of parenting
is relying on the Lord. Getting
pregnant, having healthy babies and caring for less than healthy ones, and raising
children to love God can’t be done without the Lord’s hand on the process. Rebecca shows me that God must be invited
into every step of the journey called motherhood, and because she relies so
fully on the Lord, I can’t wait to see what plans God has for Davis Matthew
Warren.
Laura Smith: Laura is a new friend. I met her at my Bible
Study in Charlotte. She might be a new
friend, but she is one of those people I feel like I’ve known a long time. I know I’ve said this before, but she and the
other women in my Bible Study have been God’s greatest blessing to me in
Charlotte (besides my wonderful husband, of course!). All of the women in my Bible Study have shown
me wonderful traits of mothers. They
care for children with special needs and children who have been adopted from
overseas. They sacrifice day in and day
out for children of all ages, and they continue to speak with love and pride
about accomplishments ranging from learning ABC’s to getting engaged. While they are all awesome mothers, Laura is
the one I’ve had the opportunity to get to know the best, and what I love about
her parenting is that she shows me what it is to be a family. Laura’s husband has a job that allows him to be home at regular times and on
weekends. So from Laura, I hear about the ways she carves out time for family
activities. She and her husband go
together to take their 2 year old, Harper, to the park or hiking or out to
eat. Laura talks about the importance of
having dinner together as a family every night, and she and her husband give
Harper baths together and read the Bible with her. I also love that Laura makes it a priority to
give Harper time with her daddy. On
Wednesday nights, Laura goes to our Bible Study, and she and I usually exercise
or grab dinner before study. Those
nights are BJ’s nights with his daughter.
He picks her up from daycare and takes her out to dinner before spending
special time with her that night – though it isn’t rare for him to send Laura a
picture or video text sharing their adventures.
Laura reminds me that parenting is not all about mothering – it is about
creating a family unit and carving out time for a dad to have individual relationships
with his children.
Happy Mother’s Day to my sweet friends! I love all of you, and I’m so thankful God
has put you in my life to be a model of motherhood.



No comments:
Post a Comment