I didn’t want to go to my Grandmom’s funeral. I know that sounds terrible. I tried to tell myself my reluctance was for
a million different reasons… I had already said my goodbyes to her, I didn’t
want my last memory to be of her in a casket, the weather forecast indicated
that we might be stuck in an airport overnight.
I had a million different excuses, but on the way to the Charlotte
airport on Wednesday, I realized that all my reasons boiled down to one: I didn’t
want to have to confront the fact that she was gone. You see, we live far apart. I talk to my Grandmom some on the phone and a
fair amount on Facebook, but I rarely see her.
I think I could have lived in denial of her actual passing for a
while.
Her health had been declining in the last year or so, but I
wasn’t actually prepared to lose her so quickly. Just a month ago, she had sent me funny items
in the mail that caused us to laugh together and showed her fun loving
personality. This past week, I got a
Christmas card with her handwriting, and I had on my to-do list to write her a
thank you note. We had made plans to
drive to New Jersey next summer after Daniel was born so she could meet
him. I wanted to live in the world where
all those memories were happy and those plans were going to happen. Her funeral would make me face the fact that
our time of making memories together was over.
But as with all hard experiences, I’m so glad my Grandmom’s
funeral was one I had. First because it
surrounded me with people who loved her as much as I did, and who loved one
another deeply. As mentioned in the
previous blog, my mom’s family is fairly large, and few of us live close to one
another. However, all the children and
almost all the grandchildren made it to the funeral. Through it all, I was overwhelmed by the love
and support this family gives one another.
We could not be more different, and many of us barely know each other as
none of the cousins truly grew up together. Nevertheless, I wish I could
describe what it was like to walk into my cousin Chris’s arms and feel like I
was with a big brother or choke back tears to have a normal conversation with
my cousin Nicole because it has been so long since we’ve seen each other and we
wanted to catch up or be greeted with my Uncle Mike’s big smile or talk
pregnancy details with my Aunt Arleen. I
wish I could describe my Uncle Jimmy’s absolutely perfect eulogy – which wonderfully
captured my Grandmom and our family and reminded me how much I want to be like
her to my children one day. My
grandmother raised a family who loves so well.
Children who accept differences (of which there are many) and put family
first above all. Children who have
taught their children to do the same. It
is an amazing family, and I am privileged and blessed to be a member of it.
The second reason I’m so glad I went to my Grandmom’s
funeral is because I heard the gospel clearly and beautifully. My grandmother had picked the three scripture
readings for the day. At first, the scriptures
didn’t seem closely related to me. One
discussed wisdom, one was Jesus’ words to his disciples that he was the only
way to heaven, and the last, from Revelation, discussed the end times and God
making all things new when he comes again.
The priest pulled them together perfectly – probably as my grandmother
intended all along. The priest clearly described
how my grandmother’s life was not the end.
He discussed how some people have the wisdom to look beyond what they
can see on earth to know that there is another, better way and to know that
Jesus is the way to that life – a life that is described in Revelation as being
a new thing marked with no more tears and no more sorrow, a life of joy and
togetherness with God.
I sat in that service with tears on my cheeks telling God
how much I hurt. I told him that I knew
death was a natural part of life, but that I was aching for my grandmother to
be alive in the room with us. I felt the
Lord quickly respond, “No, Shannon.
Listen up. Death is not a natural part of life. It is unnatural. It shouldn’t
be this way. You are sad because you
know it shouldn’t be this way.” The
words God whispered to my heart lined up so perfectly with the priest’s
message. Death is sad because it isn’t
right. We were never designed to
die. When God created the Garden of
Eden, his intention was that Adam and Eve would live forever with him, but
through their sin, they chose a life of disobedience and separation from God –
a life that God merciful capped to end the suffering they brought on
themselves. He could have left the human
race there – living forever this cycle of life and death because of our disobedience,
but he didn’t. The Bible is a love story
of him chasing his wayward children to bring them back to the life he wanted to
give them in the first place. But, as
the priest said, few of us have the wisdom to see God’s loving chase. Somehow, too many people see the Christian
life as a list of things that one must do or not do in order to hopefully be
accepted by God. It is a misconception
that has made a life with Christ seem rigid and hard and trivial. It is a viewpoint that has distracted me at
times. And, if I’m being completely
honest, the question of how much do I have to do or not do for my faith to be “good
enough” has hounded me lately. Even this
past week, I had found myself asking Andy, “I know God says if you confess with
your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord’ and believe in your heart God raised him from the
dead, you will be saved for a life in heaven, but what do you think that
means? What does that even look
like? How do we know a confession is
enough and how much can we get wrong and the confession still be all it takes?”
I find it beautifully ironic that God used a Catholic priest
to make it clear and simple and easy for everyone present. Catholics are pegged for their “follow the
rule” nature and for their observance of rituals, but yesterday, in that
unexpected place and time, God connected the dots. What does it take to spend the life we were
designed to have with God and his people forever? It takes the wisdom to see that Jesus is the
ONLY way, the only truth, and that he brings the life promised to us when God
creates a new heaven and a new earth. It
takes the wisdom to look beyond the distractions and know that no one else and
no other god will do.
In our fast paced, anything goes, independent society, it is
easy to become distracted. It is easy to
want to explore our options or believe that we are our own bosses and can make
our own rules. It is also easy to get
caught up in religious tradition or rules and lose sight that the gospel of God
is simple. We are a race of humans who have
rejected the perfect plan of creation, and the gospel is the truth of a God too
loving to leave us in our pain and suffering, it is a Lord who made himself
human to die the death we should die because we chose it in the Garden. The gospel declares that our own deaths don’t
mean separation forever from God or from our believing loved ones. The gospel is the message of hope. It is the message that we are not good
enough, we have no hope of being good enough, and all our trying is useless. God doesn’t ask us to clean up or work hard
or get it right to be rewarded. He just
asks us to come and believe that his way is the only way. It is simple.
For those who believe, death is not the end, we will not live forever in
pain and hurt, there is hope.
And I heard a loud
voice from the throne saying, ‘Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the
people, and he will dwell with them.
They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their
God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their
eyes. There will be no more death’ or
mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am
making everything new!” Then he said, “Write
this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” – Revelation 21:3-5

No comments:
Post a Comment