Something I feel like God has been teaching me lately is
that he is like my husband in this area – he is more concerned with the quality
of our relationship than my performance.
You see, I get caught up in trying to be the perfect Christian, and I
honestly can’t do it. I look at areas of
struggle – like fear and worry and lack of trust – and I get frustrated that I’m
still struggling with the same sins. I’ve been walking with Jesus for 20+ years,
and I’ve seen him do amazing things, but when a difficulty comes along, I fall
into the same weaknesses over and over. My
pattern is so predictable now that I could draw a diagram. It would look like this: Problem – Fear – Worry – Frustration – Lots of Prayer and Listening to
God – Momentary Peace – Reminder to Worry – Repeat.
I’ve thought about my pattern several times over the years,
and whenever I think about it, I feel like the worst Christian in the world,
and I usually end my reflection with a commitment to “work on” this
struggle. What I’m starting to see,
though, is that my whole mindset is ridiculous.
Christianity is not about following the rules or a particular pattern of
behavior – but, let me tell you, I am tempted to believe that it is. Sometimes (ok, a lot of the time) I look at
faith and measure my commitment based on how long and insightful my quiet times
are, how well I know the Bible, how much I read God’s word AND other Christian
works, how I’m mastering spiritual disciplines, how often I go to church or
Bible Study, and what type of service I’m doing. You know where the focus on all those items
is? On me. I’m trying to measure the quality of a relationship with what I’m doing. That would be like trying to describe my
relationship with Andy based on how many shirts I iron, how often I cook
dinner, how many times I engage in activities he enjoys, or the number of texts
I send him during the day. Those items
do show something of the commitment that I put into our relationship, and they
can, in total, make up our relationship, but individually they do not speak to
the quality of our marriage.
I think the same is true of my relationship with the
Lord. When I look at areas of struggle
and let those weaknesses represent the whole of my walk with Him, I am putting the
focus in the wrong place. One short
coming does not speak to the whole of my relationship. To see the whole
relationship, I must also look at areas where the Lord is growing me. Furthermore, I was listening to a sermon last
night that put an entirely new spin on weaknesses. It was a sermon from JD Greer at The Summit
Church in Raleigh. It is the one from June 2, 2013, and you might want to
listen to it here. In it, he said, “If dependence
is the objective, then weakness is an advantage.” I thought about my propensity toward worry
and fear, and while I know it is a weakness, I can also see how that struggle makes
me stronger in the Lord because it forces me to learn to depend on him. I am a person who ALWAYS has something I feel
worried about, but those are areas that constantly push me to the feet of
Jesus. I pray about the concern, but I
also pray about the underlying weakness that is my lack of faith.
Paul says in 2 Corinthians 12, “Therefore I will boast all
the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on
me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I
delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in
difficulties. For when I am weak, then I
am strong.” Recently, I was praying
earnestly about a present worry, and I felt God’s peace in a really cool way. I got a glimpse of what it looks like to rest
in the Lord, and I actually feel peaceful about God’s provision and plan in the
situation right now, but if in another two or three or four months, the
situation isn’t resolved, I know I’ll feel fear and worry again. I’ll still struggle, but I think I have to
let myself off the hook for that. I
think that instead of focusing on trying harder, I should focus on my
relationship with the Lord and thank him for the weakness that causes the
struggle that pushes me closer to him. I
may not be mastering the spiritual discipline of waiting on the Lord, but the
truth is that Christian activities like increasing Bible reading or study or church attendance alone are not
going to help me in meaningful ways. They are helpful practices, but I’ll
only be changed as my relationship with the Lord deepens, and I honestly
believe my struggle is producing that intimacy.
But I think I also have to realize that even as I grow in this area,
trust may always be weakness – and that is ok if I allow my weaknesses to make
me strong in Christ.
I’ve spent much of this blog focusing on my individual
struggle, so before I conclude, I want to reiterate that I think the overall
concept could apply to any area of weakness.
I’ve seen people who struggle with eating disorders and addictions. I’ve seen people who struggle with pride or
anger or a need for control or selfish ambition or just plain old complacency
in faith. I am not suggesting that
giving into these areas of weakness is not sin.
It definitely is. I am
suggesting, however, that instead of beating ourselves up about being horrible
Christians and then trying to increase our spiritual practices in order to overcome
the weakness is the wrong path. The
right path might be praising God for the weaknesses in our lives because they push
us to seek him. It might be recognizing
that he may never remove our temptation in a particular area but that as we
allow the temptation to push us to him, we will find strength for the
moment. The struggle might continue for
years or even for our lifetime, but it is in the struggle that we find the gift
of grace and the power of God.
Shannon, your blog reminds me of the way Catholics feel, like they can never DO enough when it really is about the relationship. That was a big change is my faith.
ReplyDeleteIt is kind of like that, I think. I know this blog is a bit off the beaten path, but I think God is showing me that I've been too legalistic - focusing on the details and not the big picture. Andy made the comment that legalism is like trying to be really good at every part of a sport - like baseball (hitting, catching, running, etc) - but not really enjoying playing the game. I thought that was a good point. Thanks for commenting, Mom!
ReplyDelete