Tuesday, July 2, 2013

In Actions AND Truth


Do you know those bummer stickers that people put on their cars that spell “Coexist” or “Tolerance,” and they have all the different religious symbols?  I struggle with those stickers.  Every time I see one, I have an internal wrestling match.

 

If you aren’t familiar with the stickers, they work so that each letter represents a different religious belief.  Islam, Pagan/Wiccan, Christianity, and Judaism are religious beliefs represented.  The Chinese Yin/Yang natural balance and scientific study are also represented.  My problem with the sticker is that it puts Jesus Christ – the only truth in the world – on level with witchcraft and false gods.  I can’t believe that Christians can be ok with these stickers.  At the same time, though, I understand the philosophy behind the sticker that espouses mutual respect and love for one another regardless of personal beliefs.  I get that part.  So I don’t know what to do about that sicker, and I’m wrestling with the obvious problem in our society that it represents.

 

Here is part of the problem, and it starts with Christians.

 

Part of the problem is that Christians write thoughtless, hateful things on Facebook.  They post grotesque ads against abortion that show no love for the mother who felt forced into a difficult choice.  They post derogatory comments about people who are homosexual with all the authority of God himself.  They brazenly and boldly post their political beliefs in ways that assume their belief is the only possible Christian belief.  The problem is Christians who hold up picket signs or thump Bibles on college campuses.   Christians who use the Bible to support racism and hatred and say things like “Hate the sin, love the sinner” with no love in their voice are the problem.  We (and I’ve been as guilty as anyone else) are part of the reason someone decided to make a coexist sticker – to teach those of us who say we follow Jesus to actually follow Jesus and love the poor and outcast and sinner the way he did.  We are part of the problem.  We have not shown God to the world.  We have shown prejudice and judgment and anything but love, and it is no wonder people want to find ways to have a relationship with God without walking through church doors.

 

Another part of the problem, though, is the “anything goes” attitude in our culture.  Somehow, we have gotten to a place where people think truth is relative.  Truth is not relative.  Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).  This is not just what I believe.  It is not something I’ve chosen, and others can choose to respect or not.  It is truth.  Jesus is truth.  His word is truth.  The Bible is not a religious document in the same way other manuscripts are religious documents.  2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is God breathed.”  All roads do not lead to God, we do not make our own God, and if an individual does not make a sincere choice to believe that Jesus is the only truth, they will spend eternity in hell.  That is not just something I believe, it is an absolute certainty.  Anything does not go.  Choices must be made and not making a choice, is still picking a side.   Revelation 3:15-16 says of people who are complacent about faith, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm – neither hot nor cold – I am about to spit you out of mouth.”  Our culture values lukewarm attitudes calling those people “open-minded” and “tolerant” but God is spitting them out.

 

So the question is: how do we remain passionate about the Lord and his truth and also love like Jesus?  The answer is that I don’t know.  I honestly, honestly don’t.  I wish I could answer it in this blog and wrap up to a cute, catchy conclusion, but I don’t know how to do that.  I believe that homosexuality is a sin – I believe God’s word that says that – but I do have compassion for people who are homosexual.  I have compassion for those who struggle against it and wish they could change their sexual preference.  I have compassion for people who embrace their individuality but feel ostracized by the rest of the world – particularly Christians.  And I think the church is horribly hypocritical when we have no grace for fellow Christians admitting a struggle with homosexuality but are comfortable with other sexual sins like premarital sex and adultery.  I don’t believe in divorce.  I believe God hates it like his word says, but I have compassion for people who look at their marriage and fear that they’ll spend the rest of their lives in an unhappy home, and I feel sad for women who watch all the hopes and dreams they once had come crashing down in a divorce settlement.  I don’t believe in abortion even though scripture doesn’t specifically mention it (so we’re looking at my personal opinion here), but I can’t imagine being a teenager who is pregnant or being a rape victim with an unwanted child.  I also can’t imagine the pain and guilt that someone must feel after she has chosen to abort her own baby. 

 

I don’t like those Coexist bumper stickers.  I will never put one on my car.  But I want to figure out how Jesus was able to live, as his life did accomplish one of the goals of those stickers which was making people feel wanted.  Unlike the sticker, however, he also stood for truth.  He passionately protected the holiness of the temple in Matthew 21, and without mincing words he spoke out against the bigotry of the religious leaders, but at the same time, he engaged in loving conversations with prostitutes and the poor and the most needy and desperate.  I wouldn’t call Jesus tolerant.  I wouldn’t call God tolerant.  I don’t think God can tolerate sin. Loving might be a better word.  You see, there is a difference between tolerance and love.  Tolerance implies a measure of acceptance or an acknowledgement of the possibility of truth – basically an opinion that “your idea is as good as mine even if we don’t agree.”  Tolerance also holds people at arm’s length.  It says we can respect one another and “coexist,” but we don’t have to be friends.  Love implies grace and goodness and a willingness to consider where the other person is – to get in their shoes and walk around a bit, to see from their point of view.  Love is all knowing and ever present.  Love says, “I don’t agree with you, but I’m here for and with you.”  Love sits down at the same table and eats the same meal and creates intimacy of relationship.  But how do we love in practical ways and how do we effectively share Christ with people who don’t know him?  Maybe it has to do with our actions.  With showing compassion, with meeting practical needs, with doing what is right in the middle of a people doing only what is wrong.  Maybe it has to do with 1 John 3:18 that says, “Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.”  I think standing for truth is not about what I write on a blog – it is about how I am living my life and how I am interacting with other people.  It isn’t about what we are putting on our Facebook or Twitter posts or on the back of our car or our T-shirts, it is about who we are putting in our arms and how we are serving with our hands and feet.  It has something to do with that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment