My brother, JT, has a fun tradition of inviting all his
friends to my parent’s house for the 4th of July. Literally – all his friends. This year, we packed people on every
available sleeping space and one of the girls declared it a giant
sleepover. She was so right. Andy and I don’t always get to be part of the
celebration because we also try to celebrate with his family, but this year we
went. Here is the thing about JT and
Grace’s friends. They are really, really
smart and really, really talented. Just
like JT and Grace. And I’m not
exaggerating. They are well traveled and
the majority of the group at the house on Thursday had actually lived and
worked overseas. They are well educated
with impressive backgrounds and degrees.
They all have fantastic, cool, awesome jobs (at least from my
perspective!), AND they are all under 30.
But here is the absolute best thing about this group and the part that
impressed me most – they are unbelievably humble. In fact, I guarantee that if any of them are
reading this post right now, they are already embarrassed by my praise and
hoping I won’t mention them by name. Don’t
worry, guys, I won’t (I did, however, add your picture to this blog because
pictures make words more interesting).
My conversations with some of them have made me think more
about humility this week. I had one
conversation with one of the girls in the group who, in my opinion, exudes
humility, and we talked about work and priorities and balance. Somehow we got to talking about how hard it
is to balance work requirements with a desire to spend our time in other
pursuits –with family and friends or personal care (like exercise). She perfectly articulated the problem when
she mentioned how talent or effort at work is rewarded – if not in words then
usually in respect or a promotion or raise – but there isn’t much praise or
recognition for people working to build relationships, for example. I think about women who choose to stay home with
their children to raise them according to God’s word. There isn’t much praise for that job. And if I’m being perfectly honest, it is a
lifestyle that even I criticize at times. Two nights ago, I was actually venting
to my husband about a woman I’ve never even met who went to college, got a
degree, and never used it because she chose to stay home to better support her
husband and then children. I was doing that! And I would
love to be able to stay home and pour into our children when we have them
because I believe that no one can teach them to love Jesus better than Andy and
I can. And I have friends that show
me daily what an amazing sacrifice it is to be at home full time with children. What is wrong with me that I was criticizing
that unknown woman? What is wrong with
me that I thought using a degree was more important than pouring into her
family?
I think that in my heart has been fooled into believing the
lie that earthly wisdom and ambition matter.
I have allowed myself to become prideful in my pursuit of those things –
if not outwardly, at least inwardly. 1 Corinthians 3:18-19 says, “Do not
deceive yourselves. If any of you think
you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that
you may become wise. For the wisdom of
this world is foolishness in God’s sight.”
This is the thing. We aren’t all
that smart or impressive. Just when I
think I’m a rock star, I meet another teacher who is a million times more
impressive in her career than I am. And
even if I was the most impressive, most talented, most intelligent person on
earth, God would still look at me and laugh.
The “wisdom” of this world is foolishness in his sight. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t work or pursue
earthly goals like education and career.
It just means that we should keep life in perspective – true wisdom is
not in earthly knowledge because I am one tiny human on one tiny planet in in
galaxy of many galaxies. We are nothing
in the scheme of the whole world. True
wisdom comes from the one who is greater than the entire universe – The Lord
God.
Psalm 111:10 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of
wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.” When JT’s friend and I were discussing
priorities at the lake, she was, in my opinion, a beautiful example of what a
balance of priorities should be. She
could have been finding her worth in her cool job, impressive background, and
unique past experiences. She could have
been bragging about what she has done and where she wants to go in her career. Instead, she was talking to me about the
importance of finding balance – of making time for the people in her life that
she loves and showing other people that they are important. You see, I can’t readily think of anywhere in
the Bible that talks about furthering our career goals, but I can off-hand
think of LOTS of scriptures about loving our neighbor, serving the poor,
engaging with our families, seeking the Lord.
I think humility looks like my new friend at the lake and the stay at
home moms I know. It looks like engaging
in a God-centered perspective – even when it is a struggle. It looks like being unimpressed with
ourselves and our “accomplishments” and more interested in making a difference
for the Lord in the lives of those around us.
It looks like prioritizing our time to place God and his desires ahead
of our own. Even when it hurts. Even when it is tiring. Even when it doesn’t feel rewarding. That is what humility looks like.
No comments:
Post a Comment