Monday, November 10, 2014

Waiting on Babies (and Promises): Galatians 4:21-31


Since I'm talking about sweet little boys in this blog, I had to include pictures of my favorites!
Disclaimer: Today, my take away was not exactly the overall point of this passage, so if you are interested in a more technical breakdown, I’d refer you to a good commentary (try Biblegateway.com).  Instead, as I read, two verses stuck out heavily to me, and I wanted to blog about them.  I do not believe I am compromising Paul’s point in these scriptures, but I will say that he has more to say than simply what I blog, and it might be worth checking out if you are interested. 

When Andy and I decided we were ready to have children, I was READY.  I am a serious type-A personality, and when we decided we wanted to be pregnant, I wanted to be pregnant immediately.  It didn’t happen immediately.  In the broad scheme of things, and in light of the true problems with fertility that others have, we didn’t wait long, but we definitely waited longer than I anticipated.  It was long enough for me to have a little sip of how bitter it is to deeply desire a baby and to be staring, yet again, at another negative pregnancy test.  It was enough time for me to share my fears and my hurts with others and hear flippant responses.  It was enough time to have people innocently ask me when Andy and I might start a family all the while knowing how deeply I wished we already had.

I have also had friends who have wanted children for years longer than they anticipated.  I know what it is to be down on my knees with a woman who is as close as a sister begging God for her baby.  I know what it thank God for what will be as we wipe tears because we are still in the place of what is.  I have held other close friends as they ached for another child lost to miscarriage, and I have prayed relentlessly with them as their bodies bore the stress of trying to carry children to term. 

I have also held miracles.  I met my son after a difficult delivery, and even through tears and pain and utter exhaustion, I stared unbelievingly into his tiny face, and I recognized God.  When I hold him now, I am overwhelmed with what love can be.  I have held another sweet boy whose life I know without a doubt will be used by God.  He is covered in years of prayers, and when I think of him and the events leading to his birth, I cannot help but be overwhelmed by the glory God shows us in this child.  He is a bright shining star of how God’s ways are always higher and better than ours.  And I love another little boy whose mother is like my sister.  He runs and plays now, and sometimes I watch him, and I see God.  His life is a miracle, and his mother had such faith that God would carry her through her pregnancy with him.  She sacrificed so much of herself to carry him and to make sure he would be healthy and whole.  She believed God had promised him even when others doubted another child should come to her.  He is a miracle.

Today, I read the end of Galatians 4, and two verses reminded me of these boys I love and of their mothers.  The first is verse 27, and it says, “Rejoice, O childless woman, you who have never given birth!  Break into a joyful shout, you who have never been in labor!  For the desolate woman now has more children than the woman who lives with her husband!”  I know a little about wanting a child, and I do not know anyone who is breaking into a joyful shout when she is looking at another negative pregnancy test she wished were positive.  In that situation, it is really hard to find joy.

Another woman in a similar position knew about the difficulty of finding joy.  Verse 23 says, “The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God’s promise.  But the son of the freeborn wife was born as God’s own fulfillment of his promise.”  This passage is specifically talking about Abraham’s two children.  God promised Abraham that he would have children as numerous as the stars in the sky.  And yet his wife, Sarah, continued to be barren.  She went for years and years and years without babies.  Menopause came and went and still no babies.  The promise became difficult for her to believe, so Sarah made her own way by giving Abraham her servant girl, Hagar, as his wife.  In those days, children born to servants could be considered as the wife’s own children.  Her plan worked, and Hagar gave birth to Ishmael.  But Ishmael was not God’s promise, and ultimately he only caused heartache for Sarah.  Taking matters into our own hands usually does that.  Despite Sarah’s actions, God fulfilled his promise and brought Abraham a son, Isaac, who was born of Sarah’s own body.  The body she believed had long ago failed her.  The body she believed incapable of producing children.  The body which, by anyone else’s standards, WAS incapable of making babies.  God had made a promise, and he fulfilled his promise.  Isaac became the father to the Jewish nation – a people as numerous as the stars in the sky.

Sarah is a testament that God can do anything, and we should take joy in what he did for her and others like her because his miracles reveal his power.  When I look at the little boys in my life, I can see that God is good and that he works in wondrous ways.  When I consider how tightly my friends held God’s promises, and then how they held their children in those same hands, I know God comes through.  I can look at their joy and have joy that he will come through for others who are still waiting – for a child or spouse or a healing or anything else.

This is not to say that I believe all the desires of our hearts will be met as we expect.  I don’t believe that.  We live on a sinful earth, which means that we will face hurt and heartache and loss.  But I do believe God will do what he says he will do, and I think Sarah and Abraham are certainly an example of that.  So, when we know God has promised a spouse or a child or a healing, we can have faith and joy that he will come through exactly as he has promised.  The wait may be longer than we hope, but he never fails. 

I also believe that even if we haven’t been given a promise, God is still good.  There is a verse that says, “Delight yourselves in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”  I believe that when we truly delight in the Lord, he will meet our desires in a deeper way than we imagine.  I know a woman who desired to be pregnant, but God has revealed that path will be impossible for her.  He has instead shown her and her husband a path to adoption.  Knowing their individual stories, I can see how God will use their unique backgrounds to make them the perfect parents to pour into children whose biological parents are unable to meet their needs.  God is not meeting the desires of their hearts as they imagined, but I believe he will meet those desires in a deeper, richer way than they would have expected.

I have another friend who deeply desires a spouse.  She wants companionship and love.  She wants a family of her own.  I don’t know what ‘God’s promises are to her, but I do know that right now he is using her in beautiful ways as a single person to be available to younger women.  She disciples high school students and spreads joy and love, and she is loved greatly and by many in return.  I know that she desires a husband, but I also know that because she is delighting herself in God, he is making her life full.


The ways God fulfills our desires are not necessarily the ways we would fulfill our desires.  Isaiah 55:8-9 speaks beautifully to that truth.  God may not work in our time or according to our plan, but his ways are always higher and better and more beautiful.  And when he has revealed his plan, we should not doubt no matter how impossible the promise may seem.  I know this verse is speaking of a promise God made that was not pretty or joyful, but I still love how Habakkuk 2:3 always reminds us that God will do what he says he will do.  It says, “For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end – it will not lie.   If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.”  The waiting is hard.  But the promises are true, and God does not delay, and he does not forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment