Saturday, November 1, 2014

Knowing Truth From Lies: Galatians 4:8-20

But now that you know God - or rather are known by God - how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces?  Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? - Galatians 4:9

When I found my house in Greenville, it was in the initial stages of the building process.  The lure of new construction and picking my finishes was strong, and I ended up choosing everything from the flooring to the fixtures.  It was a fun process.  But the one drawback of new construction is that you also get a brand new yard with new grass seed.  And, let me tell you, cultivating new grass, especially in sandy soil Eastern North Carolina is no easy task.  To make matters worse, I definitely don’t have a green thumb or a real interest in yard work.  It is no shocker, therefore, that when I went to sell my house four years later, the grass was seriously struggling.  The lifeless grass didn't exactly help my curb appeal, and it was the only fixable complaint from everyone who viewed my house.

Luckily, my father-in-law stepped in, and he brought a tractor and all the necessary supplies to fix my yard.  Andy’s parents are awesome in general, but especially when it comes to stuff like this, and the four of us worked all day in that yard tilling the soil, throwing out grass seed, and covering it in straw to help protect it and encourage growth.  In the weeks that followed, I watered it like crazy, the grass grew, and the house sold.

When I was reading Galatians 4:8-20 this week, I thought about preparing that soil for the grass seed and about a parable Jesus tells on the same topic.  In Matthew 13, Jesus tells a parable about how people come to have faith and grow in it.  He uses the analogy of seeds and soil, and he describes all types of situations where a person’s faith never grows strong.  Maybe their hearts aren’t ready for the gospel or they fall on hard times and lose faith or they don’t cultivate deep roots in the word and fall away.  Only seed that falls on fertile soil and develops deep roots is the seed that produces plants.  Jesus equates this seed to people who hear and understand his word and then produce a harvest.  When I was reading the passage in Galatians it seemed like the Galatians were a group who received the gospel message with great joy, but because they didn't develop strong roots in the truth of scripture, they were being swayed to follow another path away from Paul’s teaching.

It is easy to criticize the fact that they had returned to the law and forgotten about grace, but think about how much work it takes to create rich soil.  Jesus’s parable is such a good one.  I vividly remember my aching body and blistered hands after we worked to prepare my soil for grass.  I also remember having to adjust my schedule to water it every night and adjust my budget for the cost of the sprinkler running so long!  Getting that yard into sell worthy condition sure interrupted my life! 

Our spiritual lives are the same way.  We don’t just end up in a strong relationship with Jesus.  We don’t just happen to know the truth well enough to spot lies.  It takes work and dedication and a commitment to growth.  I’ve also found that, like yard work, sometimes the work is enjoyable.  Sometimes the sun is shining, the birds are singing, life is good, and our quiet times are easy.  Meeting with the Lord fits nicely into our schedules, we enjoy the time, and we are hearing his voice and growing in our knowledge and love of him.  But sometimes, the work is not so fun.  The weather is bitterly cold, the sky is overcast, and our backs are aching.  Sometimes, there are about a million and a half things on our to-do list and life is hard and our faith is struggling and meeting with the Lord is the last thing we want to do.  Sometimes growing the grass isn’t easy or fun. 

But regardless of our mood, growing strong roots is always necessary, and the Galatians are the perfect example for why.  They were so easily confused.  Paul had come and had shared the gospel of freedom in Christ.  They heard the good news that Jesus made a way for them to have community with the Lord and that he covered their sin.  But then different teachers came and confused them.  They heard other arguments, and they lost their way.  They thought they were still following Christ, but they had gotten off track and didn’t even realize it.

The danger for us is as serious as it was for the Galatians.  As an example, a friend of mine, who is also looking for a church in a new city, shared a story about something a pastor said from the pulpit of a church she visited that is absolutely contrary to God’s word.  I have been researching church doctrines like crazy lately, and I also happen to know that what he said is contrary to the beliefs held by his denomination.  My friend spends regular time in the word, and she knows it well, so she immediately spotted his lie.  But others may not have noticed it.  So many people trust pastors to share truth, but we have to remember that they are human just like everyone else.  They make mistakes, and it is our responsibility to be sure we are hearing truth. 

Additionally, it is our responsibility to make sure our thoughts are based in truth.  Sometimes, it is easier to spot lies shared with us by others than it is to spot the lies we share with ourselves (or allow Satan to share with us).  I spoke to a friend this week who reminded me how easy it is for our thought life to become corrupted.  For us to hear lies like, “God’s not faithful,” “I am worthless,” “My marriage isn't worth fighting for,” “I can’t forgive him.”  How will we know if we are hearing truth or lies if we aren't spending time growing our own roots?  How will we know whether we are on the path that leads to light or the one that leads to destruction?
 
It is a serious question.  But the good news is that all the work is not on our shoulders.  I am a new mom, and I stay home with my son.  You’d think that quiet times would be much easier now than when I was leaving for work at 6:45am and working 50+ hours a week.  Somehow, they aren't.  My child still doesn't sleep through the night, and whenever I get a quiet moment, all I want to do is take a nap or do some laundry or take a shower.  You would not believe how many times I have to force myself to sit down with my Bible and spend a moment with the Lord.  But here is the good news.  I have a helper in the Holy Spirit, and there are SO MANY days that I look at my bed and then at my Bible and pray, “Jesus, if you promise to give me energy to make it the rest of the day, I’ll spend this time with you” or “Lord, I will sit down with my Bible, but will you PLEASE make Daniel sleep an extra hour so I can sleep when I’m done?”  In full disclosure, Daniel doesn't always sleep that extra hour, but I do always make it through the afternoon until Andy comes home.


I don’t want to paint an unrealistic picture.  Sometimes the time in the word doesn't feel refreshing.  Sometimes I have to work to stay focused.  Sometimes I take a nap and don’t do it at all.  But I do know that the continuous effort to grow closer to the Lord and the help of the Holy Spirit is the way I walk a different path than the one the Galatians were following in Galatians 4.  And it is how I can know truth from lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment